Author Topic: I can't update Avast 5  (Read 18567 times)

Gian

I can't update Avast 5
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
Yesterday I installed new Avast 5.0.377 Home (the free one), but I can't update both Definitions and Program.

I have these messages:

• Initializing, please wait...
  • Downloading file: serverd.def.vpx
  • Error: Cannot connect to server

And after some seconds:

"Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download656.avast.com"

I'm using XP SP3 without firewalls (only Windows's one) and without others antivirus. I uninstalled old 4.8 version and also I used aswclear tool. I uninstalled and reinstalled v5 at least 4 times.

Gian

Re: I can't update Avast 5
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:07:41 PM »
So I'm the only one with this problem?

Please help me, or I will be back to 4.8  :-\

dc001

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »
Hi,  Gian.

I'm a newbie at this forum and only really joined yesterday after coming across the update problem that you refer to with Avast 5.0.377 Home (the free one).

After installing the software, it worked OK and did a full scan and fount two items of malware.  However, when I tried to update it, it kept saying something like "Step 1 of 2 initializing....", and then nothing happened.  The download bar starts to move but stops after about 2mm. 

I uninstalled it and tried a clean installation but still can't update it.

I've given up for the moment and gone back to 4.8 which downloads updates no problem.  I've decided to wait until they iron out the bugs on 5.0.377, which is a pity as I really like the new interface compared to the 4.8 version.

Sorry, I haven't got a solution, but at least you're not the only one with the problem.  I hope they see our two posts and iron this out as soon as possible.

Regards,

David

ejdj

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »
I have the same problem too.

I guess they do this becos its free... I think I will remove it and go back to 4.8. They are not ready to offer any support.

Shame on Them.

edmuser

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:59:16 AM »
You're certainly not the only one with this problem :(

bobo1

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »
Yes,
Also having lots of trouble with the auto update function of of avast 5. Never had trouble with avast 4.8. Eventually uninstalled 5 and went back to 4.8 and reinstalled 5 on top of it. Still intermittant problems with auto updating. Pushing manual updates works though! through GUI. Cannot wait until next program update is out!
Set mine direct connection NO PROXY and ALLWAYS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET & UPDATE INTERVAL 15mins.

I think when Avast will sort out the issues with this Avast 5 will be the best free antivirus software ever!!!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:14:16 AM by bobo1 »

dansorin

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:14:18 AM »
I also had problems updating v5. manual update worked, but not the automatic one. for me, this updating issue is really a deal breaker. so I'm switching to F-Secure, and will check back on avast later this year, when I hope issues like that will be removed.

bobo1

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
You can still use Avast 4.8 with no problems at all as they will keep sending updates to this for the time being. There is a new beta version 5 out. I am going to experiment this on my small hard drive again and try some testing with it. But not on my Master Large hard drive in my IBM Thinkpad.

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »
Sometimes when the update servers are busy, the error is not a problem with your computer or Avast, it can be as simple as Internet traffic.  Remember that Avast has over 100 MILLION users, and the error messages that you are describing could be as simple as traffic congestion.  I have had no problems with automatic updates or manual updates.  If you could not update for like three days, I'd be concerned, but give it time.  Avast checks for definition updates every four hours for the free version plus on reboot.  For the paid versions, it's every hour plus on reboot.

I think this issue may be an overflowing amount of traffic on the servers, nothing more.  New software version, millions of people downloading, can produce slow downs and unreliable connections from time to time.

Jack

Gian

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
The fact is I'm having this since I installed the software, it never worked.

I'm so unlucky to try to update the software everytime the server is full? I don't think so

bobo1

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 04:36:21 PM »
Not a SERVER PROBLEM!!! IT IS THE AVAST 5 AUTO UPDATE FUNCTION WITHIN THE ANTIVIRUS THAT IS MALFUCTIONING! IT will manually update through the GUI on the update page! My Avast 5 was 2 days behind on definitions and did not auto update. Pushed manual button and ok. 

Gian

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 01:53:47 AM »
Any news about it?

Please can any avast developer reply me about this bug? at least to pacify me. Because porco cane I'm going back to 4.8, sadly :(

EDIT: just to let you know, today I installed italian avast 5 (because before I had english one), but the problem still exist :(

PAL10

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 02:36:39 AM »
 Gian......replys from Avast developers have become less frequent lately........but I`m sure they are working hard on your problem and many others. For now you are probably better off going back to 4.8. Just be glad you are not getting BSOD at updates as many of us are......avast 5 really is a mess and should be still in Bata.......But a company as good as Avast must be working hard to solve these problems so just hold tight ...when they ever get it right it will probably be the best out there............Peter

Jarron

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 06:40:33 AM »
If you're on a dial-up connection do NOT tick "I only connect to the internet using a dial up modem" under Settings>Updates.  Leave both boxes unchecked under Update Parameters. 

As I'm on dial-up I had checked the box (they were both unchecked by default) and wasn't receiving updates.  Once I went back and unchecked it it's updating fine.  Some others have verified this on another thread.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »
PAL10, the crashes on updates are, to my best knowledge, solved now (with the Friday virus defs update), as announced in a few other threads, including that of yours. Or do you disagree?

Regarding the updating problem, sorry for the blatant question, but you aren't using a pirated license file for avast 5, are you?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.