Author Topic: Main Exclusions Don't Work  (Read 7033 times)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Main Exclusions Don't Work
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
the exclusions in the main program settings that say it applies to on-demand scans AND realtime shields doesnt work, thers this file i have that is being flagged by the realtime file shield even after i put it into the main setting exclusions.
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Hermite15

Re: Main Exclusions Don't Work
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »
works here; I had such an issue with an FP a few days ago; put the corresponding program folder in the main exclusion list and it worked, for shields as well as manual scanners. Just checked again now with another folder  ;)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »
works here; I had such an issue with an FP a few days ago; put the corresponding program folder in the main exclusion list and it worked, for shields as well as manual scanners. Just checked again now with another folder  ;)

guess its on my machine cuz wen i launch the file i still get an alert after putting its folder into the main exclusions...

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »

guess its on my machine cuz wen i launch the file i still get an alert after putting its folder into the main exclusions...

OK wait I'm gonna test again with EICAR...back in a minute.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
OK I'm a bit surprised, because as I said when I excluded a folder recently I could run the program wrongly flagged as a virus in it...and guess what, I can exclude a folder with all eicar files in it, ie prevent it from being scanned, but when I open an EICAR ZIP there, it's still sent to Chest  ???

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »
What exactly did you put into the exclusions?

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 05:22:55 PM »
What exactly did you put into the exclusions?

if the question is to me:
I put the folder containing the EICAR files there...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »
Well, I mean the exact form of the mask... \* at the end?
Also, how do you "open" eicar.zip there? Using Windows Explorer for example? Is the path reported in the virus popup (when sending the file to Chest) the same as the one you put in the exclusion list?

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
Also, how do you "open" eicar.zip there? Using Windows Explorer for example? Is the path reported in the virus popup (when sending the file to Chest) the same as the one you put in the exclusion list?

no mask in the end of the string, I thought pointing at the folder  was enough so that all the content would be excluded. Apparently that's enough for the scans (shields and manual) but not when launching a file. How did I open the zip? just a left click to open the archive. And yes the path was of course reported on the pop up as the zip was sent to chest...
 So I guess I should retest by adding /* at the end of the path right...

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 07:41:53 PM »
...off topic: a forum bug, I just clicked on one post in my post list to get here and it had no effect, as if I was clicking on nothing. Clicking on another post link of the same thread worked

...on topic: my bad, I just looked at the path in the exclusion list, and /* was added automatically... so back to the starting point, how come the ZIP got scanned when I opened it? am I supposed to add extensions too to the path ???

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 08:04:22 PM »

no mask in the end of the string, I thought pointing at the folder  was enough so that all the content would be excluded. Apparently that's enough for the scans (shields and manual) but not when launching a file. How did I open the zip? just a left click to open the archive. And yes the path was of course reported on the pop up as the zip was sent to chest...

ye i assume putting in the folder wuld exclude everything in it? that wuld make sense afterall.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
I posted again above, /* was in fact added automatically

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 08:14:50 PM »
just a left click to open the archive. And yes the path was of course reported on the pop up as the zip was sent to chest...

OK, let me ask in a different way ;)
Do you have any special (3rd party) software associated with the ZIP extension, or do you use the internal Windows ZIP support?

so back to the starting point, how come the ZIP got scanned when I opened it?

Did you enable any non-default packers (let's say ZIP specifically) for the File System Shield?

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 08:17:21 PM »
just a left click to open the archive. And yes the path was of course reported on the pop up as the zip was sent to chest...

OK, let me ask in a different way ;)
Do you have any special (3rd party) software associated with the ZIP extension, or do you use the internal Windows ZIP support?

so back to the starting point, how come the ZIP got scanned when I opened it?

Did you enable any non-default packers (let's say ZIP specifically) for the File System Shield?

OK  :) so to the two questions yes: I use WinRar and I added ZIP and RAR to packers as well as to custom extensions in the file shield settings. I've thought this could interfere but concerning folders and their content, excluded is excluded no ?

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »
well for me the file is just in a folder, no archive no nothing, when i open the folder thers no alert,  but wen i access the file i get an alert...