Author Topic: Avast 5 Behavior Shield  (Read 10436 times)

El Douche McGrivis

Avast 5 Behavior Shield
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »
For the last few days, my system has been bogged down when loading any web based content or programs that connect to the web. When I would go to stream any sort of video or audio on sites like Pandora, Youtube, Hulu, use programs such as Steam, Gtalk, or even just start Google Chrome or Firefox, my system would get very choppy and the audio would become very distorted. My PC is average, XP SP3  4GB of ram, E4500 cpu @ 2.2Ghz, and a SATA 250GB Western Digital HDD, I know this should not have been happening with my setup.

So after a bit of fiddling (turning shields on and off and in different configurations), I have come to the realization that it is the Behavior Shield. Now my question is, has this particular problem been happening to anybody else, and if so, is the Behavior Shield particularly important in the first place ? Is there even a fix for this other than just leaving it turned off ?

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5 Behavior Shield
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
Hi,

not very important for now, it's work in progress, you can turn it off if you're sure it's the source of your problem  ;)

El Douche McGrivis

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
Ok, thanks  :)

pmokover

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
So after a bit of fiddling (turning shields on and off and in different configurations), I have come to the realization that it is the Behavior Shield. Now my question is, has this particular problem been happening to anybody else, and if so, is the Behavior Shield particularly important in the first place ? Is there even a fix for this other than just leaving it turned off ?

Yes it has been happening to me too.  I turned off Behavior Shield and that fixed it.

What exactly does Behavior Shield do?  I can't find any info on it.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:40:37 PM by pmokover »

norel

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »
What I've been able to piece together from the information that's available is this. The Behavior Shield detects potential threats based on how they behave as opposed to their content. It's system wide and not limited to specific areas as with the other real time shields. If you turn it off you'll not have the extra layer of protection but will still have the same as with 4.8. But if it's causing your system to fail it's not doing much good anyway.

bastienrehm

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »
Another thread was started that had the similar root for this problem: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54375.0

Turns out all these people including myself had the same problem which is caused by the behavior shield, no clue on a "fix" yet although it'd be nice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
All ensure that you have the latest virus signature and engine update as I believe there has been an update on the Behaviour Shield in the engine update. Check to see if the problem is still present.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bastienrehm

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
Of course I checked if everything was up to date before posting. Problem still present.

blacklac

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »
Thank you for posting this.  I was having issues streaming Hulu last night and I have never had issues like that before.  Dual core 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM and 10MB internet.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
Of course I checked if everything was up to date before posting. Problem still present.

Have you restarted the computer since the VPS update?  Restart is required for the Behavior Shield update, which was included in the VPS update yesterday evening.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

bastienrehm

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »
You're absolutely right ! I didn't restart.

After a reboot things seem to be better indeed. I'll update if the problem occurs again. Thanks