Author Topic: Avast 5.0 free final brings system to a crawl  (Read 9661 times)

Mikos

Re: Avast 5.0 free final brings system to a crawl
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »
Yup...

VLK is right about the persistent cache...

It didn't bring my PC to a crawl though, what I noticed was that it ate my RAM, nearly the entire 4Gb of it, and an hour and a half to do everything (now that is fast compared to McAfee, one that I used before). I rebooted it the PC and unchecked the persistent cache. What took me 20-35 minutes with Avast 4.8 only took 12 minutes with Avast 5. It scanned almost 40Gb in size (PC specs are in my sig).

I don't mind the wait. Hence I am keeping Avast not to use the persistent cache, since I want things done like it was not scanned before, just to be sure.

Just familiarize yourself with the settings. I am also using it on a slower machine. And the 40Gb it scanned on two drives took over just around 35 minutes.[
/color]

nightwolf00

Re: Avast 5.0 free final brings system to a crawl
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
Fixed the slow computer response problem.  Seems there was a problem installing Avast 5 over Avast 4.8.  I used aswclear and followed the instructions here: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

My computer and antivirus are running fine now.  :)    If anyone else experiences this, go to the link above to uninstall 4.8 and then reinstall 5.0.

Thanks again guys!

Brett