Author Topic: WARNING! Make v4 Home Free available again NOW, or 1 ReSeller is Done with You!  (Read 9002 times)

carbar57

Good Grief....If people would just answer my question in the first place,
I'd already be gone.  ::)
I don't want too waste any more time with Avast 5 for the moment.
I'll sort that out later.

I just want too revert to 4.8 but I need to know if I can get it regularly updated.

Can someone please just answer this simple question....ppppplease !!!

lister

carbar57 - mid 2010 according to this...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=50030.0

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster

I just want too revert to 4.8 but I need to know if I can get it regularly updated.

no shit ur gunna get updates (idk about program updates tho), when have u ever heard of a product wen moving to a new version cutting support for the prev. version immediately cuz i sure havent, just use some common sense before asking.

Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster

Sorry Carbar57 for answering obliquely.
Yes. Updates for avast!4.8 will continue indefinitely, probably until at least July 2010.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

carbar57

Thanks Lister and Vladimyr,

That's exactly what I needed to know.
Very much appreciated.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:42:27 AM by carbar57 »

jockstrapp

I have used the avast free antivirus for some time.  My first experience of it was when XP 64 bit had no compatibility with Norton antivirus and thus an alternative had to be found.  From the comments here, it would seem that the beta testing was not sufficiently exhaustive to avoid the pitfalls of version 5 thus far.  I have directed at least 60 people to the avast product but until the bugs ARE ironed out, it would be rather inappropriate to send anyone to V5.  I AM curious as to how long the updates for V4.8 are likely to remain available as I am very wary of reinstalling V5 until ALL the major common bugs have been identified and the relevant insecticide applied, perhaps in a month or two.

Marc999

Insert Quote
Quote from: dominumds on Today at 12:11:52 AM
v4 free is available at http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab4
Updates for avast!4 are at http://www.avast.com/download-update
 Smiley

Dominumds, have you tried downloading and installing Avast 4.8 from that link?  What happened to me was very strange.  I downloaded/installed Avast 4.8 from that same link.  After registering [from link provided within Avast 4.8] and inserting license key, it asked me to reboot.  Avast 4.8 Home now changed to Avast 4.8 Professional.  I try to run a virus scan.  It asks for a license key again.  License key is now invalid.  I cannot run Avast antivirus.
I believe what has happened is that Alwil has linked the wrong registration page, providing wrong license keys.  

I used this page to register Avast 4.8 Home, and the license key provided via email does not allow me to receive updates or run virusscan: http://www.avast.com/en-ca/registration-free-antivirus.php

Does anyone here know how to solve this problem?

A_Phoenix

I started my one self-educated man consulting business over 20 years ago, and the "we" refers to the many other good people in the business that I know and share the good and the bad with, as they save me time by sharing their own good and bad experiences with me.  None of us can do it all any more.  There's just too much round to cover now days.  Once I find a product that works and doesn't cause me undo embarrassment in front of customers, I learn as much as I need to about it to serve my clients, who are 100% commercial businesses. 

I dropped home users after the first three months in this business, because they ask unending questions for which they can't afford the answers.  Compared to my business clients, who basically only want their office staff to be happy.  Beyond that, they have their own work to do.  For the most part, they just want me to get finished as quick as I can, so they can pay me and be done with it.  They want to get back to making money doing what they do for a living, instead of spending time and money with me. 

They, along with those I know who are also in this business in one way or another (some working for large companies, some running smaller businesses like mine) all trust me.  As I trust them, when they've learned about a product or service to use or avoid, as the case may be.  And when they, or I, have to switch from one vendor to another, the majority of us follow the leader - who ever discovered the reason we should make such a change, and go through learning about yet another product or service, to cover the exposed need. 

As far as Avast! is concerned, yes I have a copy of v4 here. But, whenever I try to go back to it, and enter the new registration code which also became due at this particular moment, it immediately upgrades itself to version 4.18 Pro, and then won't let me access the Virus Chest, by refusing to run with the registration number which it claims to have accepted, but now it rejects.  I'm fed up with this.  Many others are having problems with this upgrade, if you read the posts. 

There should always be a path back to safe ground, no matter how small a change is being made.  People have businesses of their own to run, and often can't afford to take unscheduled time off to deal with something like this.  I'm under my own very important deadlines right now, and I definitely do not have the time right now, either.  In fact this, together with one other item, have already pushed me past the current important deadline I mentioned, which is the main reason for my angry attitude on this.  It's uncalled for, to block access to what works like this. 

By the way, for DavidR, you're right, of course.  I did forget to mention that Monday afternoon for me is in the GMT -8:00 time zone.  And the OS is XP Pro, SP3.  The other little item which causing me problems right now, when I really don't have time to deal with it, is the first ever catastrophic failure of my own personal system, which I also have to recover some files from soon.  Thanks for your attention..

lister

p.s. I looked at ur posts, and the pro version is the same installer as the free version. When you insert a reg # it automatically becomes that version. An incorrect or incomplete key (e.g. copied from the 'about firefox' popup), will not mean it will stay in Pro trial mode.

Try pasting the Key from the email avast sent you fro 4.8. Also check it is still valid. Or get another reg key from avast!.

If all else fails, then System restore to a time before you installed v5.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:55:31 AM by lister »