Author Topic: Avast 5 free slowing down fast system  (Read 3514 times)

Montana

Avast 5 free slowing down fast system
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:36:57 AM »
Boot time has increased significantly, hesitation accessing portions of computer, delays accessing Firefox, IE.  Removal of Avast Free 5 fixed all problems.  Just a heads up. This is too bad because I love Avast. It gets stuff others don't. It worked fine in version 4. Any way of still downloading that?

System: Win 7 64 bit
motherboard: gigabyte g33m-s2
cpu: intel q9400 quad core
4gb mushkin ram
Kingston 40 GB SSD Intel for O.S. drive
1 TB WD caviar black for data
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:38:37 AM by Montana »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast 5 free slowing down fast system
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:43:13 AM »
Must be some other reason. Considering what kind of hardware you have, you shouldn't experience any problems. However, the 40GB SSD drive from Kingston raises my eyebrow. What version is it? V-Series?
These use JMicron controller which is slow with small writes and these might happen with avast! storing persistent cache.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Montana

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:48:57 AM »
Hi Rej - no my Kingston 40 GB has the intel controller. 7.5 rating on Win 7 disk benchmark :)  No wait time at all ever, smooth as butter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTX-wHikNBY

The good news is that I think I solved the problem. It turns out I had tried to "update" from Avast 4 to Avast 5 and that caused some sort of conflict. I used the Avast removal tool in safe mode and removed both the Avast 4 install and the Avast 5 install and started over. Things seem to be working much better now with Avast 5 installed. I'm glad because Avast is great, and the Microsoft SE I briefly tried tonight had a huge memory footprint.

So far, so good. I suggest anyone having the issues I did to grab the removal tool from Avast and uninstall all copies of the program on their comp before installing new. I also suggest not "updating" and doing a fresh install.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
The rating in Windows mostly relies on sequential read/write which works great with all SSD's. But either way, if it's drive with Intel controller, it shouldn't be the reason.
Good to hear you solved it. The upgrades are often the most problematic, doing what you did usually fixes the problems.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

gizbar

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »
I'd agree also, your system is plenty fast enough not to slow down when using Avast!.

Glad you got it sorted.

Maybe it's worth a small sticky to inform others that it's worth doing a full uninstall of version 4 before installing version 5? (When the mods read this!  ;D)

regards Gizbar.

Montana

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »
I agree. Cleain install is the way to go.

carlcc

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:56:39 AM »
That's right.
You must delete old the files all in advance.
cuz' it is said that you install 5.0 directly, there will be some comfliction.

The best way to install 5.0 is not only cleaning 4.8 all at first, but also installing 5.0.