Author Topic: Does 4.8 install 5.0 by itself or do I have to confirm this?  (Read 2082 times)

zone12

Does 4.8 install 5.0 by itself or do I have to confirm this?
« on: January 25, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »
I've been hearing alot about the BSODs coming from Avast 5.0 along with cyberlink's DVD drivers. I'm wondering if there is anyway of stopping my computer from upgrading.

olddog

Re: Does 4.8 install 5.0 by itself or do I have to confirm this?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:31:44 AM »
As far as I know, if you set Update (Basic) Program to Manual in 4.8 then only the Virus database will be automatically updated.

If you do decide to update to Version 5, then from my own experience (and despite the fact that V5 is supposed to be able to remove 4.8 automatically during the installation) first manually remove version 4.8 via the Control panel add/remove entry, reboot, cleanup with something like CCleaner and then reboot again before installing V5. Some advise to (also) use the Avast removal program, and that wouldn't hurt.

Once I had done this, V5 installed and functioned perfectly well on my PC. I do have Cyberlink Power DVD, Power Director and Power Producer on the PC, but none of them use the particular file that has been reported as causing a problem with V5, so I assume it depends what version of the Cyberlink software one is running.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Does 4.8 install 5.0 by itself or do I have to confirm this?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:34:02 AM »
I've been hearing alot about the BSODs coming from Avast 5.0 along with cyberlink's DVD drivers. I'm wondering if there is anyway of stopping my computer from upgrading.

4.8 to 50 won't be a straight forward operation like standard 4.8 program updates. Even then 4.8 program updates have always been Ask by default and that hasn't changed.

There are some 4.8 users that 'can't update' to avast 5.0 as their operating system doesn't support it (or rather the other way round), so there really can be a forced install.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security