Author Topic: Automatic Updates  (Read 4121 times)

Willy29

Automatic Updates
« on: January 25, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
I have XP SP3 and installed V5 on top of 4.8 without any problem. Initial full scan took about an hour and 25 minutes for 38+ GB. With 4.8 the auto update feature went to work right away as soon as connection was made with the Net via dialup. After waiting about a half hour this morning I went ahead and manually updated to 100125-0 which had been on there since early yesterday morning.

So other than this minor quibble things seem to be working right. I have the updates set to automatic and am able to do them manually, so was wondering if others have had the same problem due to either a minor bug in the program or a server glitch of some kind.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:51:39 PM by Willy29 »

Hermite15

Re: Automatic Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »
100125-0 was released this morning today, not yesterday, but I can confirm I didn't get an auto-update for it. I had to do a manual check. Server glitch imo.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
Received my notification audio and pop-up, this morning, checked the (right click on avast icon), show last pop-up message for this image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:47:57 PM »
what worries me a bit is I think after all I might have had an auto-update pop up today in the morning, but I didn't bother to check what version it was. And as said a manual check later today gave me the update version mentioned above. And I don't think there were two updates today, so what was the pop up about  ??? I think the pop up I had this morning was simply the confirmation of an update I made manually yesterday evening. It happens often after a reboot. Such a pop up shouldn't happen.

Willy29

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
Sorry...meant to write 100124-0. Other than the update problem which is not really a problem I like the new product. Easy to use, intuitive and simple interface, and nice help file. Also, really like the persistent cache and code emulation features!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:21:21 PM by Willy29 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
what worries me a bit is I think after all I might have had an auto-update pop up today in the morning, but I didn't bother to check what version it was. And as said a manual check later today gave me the update version mentioned above. And I don't think there were two updates today, so what was the pop up about  ??? I think the pop up I had this morning was simply the confirmation of an update I made manually yesterday evening. It happens often after a reboot. Such a pop up shouldn't happen.

If you do a manual update you don't get the green update notification pop-up (certainly the 4.8 way it worked), so if you used the 'show last pop-up message' then an auto update happened today. It shouldn't be carried forward from say yesterday, if you have rebooted. There has only been one update today.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »

If you do a manual update you don't get the green update notification pop-up (certainly the 4.8 way it worked), so if you used the 'show last pop-up message' then an auto update happened today. It shouldn't be carried forward from say yesterday, if you have rebooted. There has only been one update today.

I never expected a pop up when I update manually ;D I didn't use the "show last..." feature. I'm almost sure now the popup I had when I turned on the system was related to an update I did yesterday, and no it shouldn't happen.

Willy29

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 03:42:08 PM »
The automatic updates on V5 worked this morning. I followed some suggestions that worked for a user in another thread here on the Avast forums. Adjusted the settings thusly:

Engine and Virus Definitions------------Automatic Update

Program--------Ask When An Update Is Available

Update Parameters--------Left Both Options Unchecked

Proxy Settings--------Auto Detect

So for the time being all is going well.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »
These are the default settings, so generally those that leave them that way don't have a problem, if they do then it may be necessary to adjust them.