Author Topic: Web Shield and Firefox 3.6 not acting well to-gether  (Read 4852 times)

sammi 1820

Web Shield and Firefox 3.6 not acting well to-gether
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »
I have given up on trying to have my Firefox browser work with Avast 5. I have tried various configs within Avast Web Shield,but nothing works as would be expected.
I first noticed the problem on a security forum site that I frequent every day.
When I first enter the site,every thing seems to be okay,but when I go to another page,it is not displaying the same as it would if Web Shield was DISABLED.
Secondly,after going to a NEW page,on the same site,I am no longer "logged" into the site,so naturally can.t post anything.If I try to re-log-in on same site I get a page saying "Cookie Blocked"...???? (Not So)
Under the help section,it advises on how to use the Exclusions.
I did this using all there suggestions....eg: for the whole site to be available....http://www.xxxx.com/*,but that has no effect,still the same problem.
To-day,when I came to the Avast site,with the Web Shield ENABLED,I couldn,t log in,and got the message,wrong password???? I then DISABLED Web Shield and all was well.
Does anyone have a reason why this is happening?....AND how to get it to work properly,without running it DISABLED????

Neil Parks

Re: Web Shield and Firefox 3.6 not acting well to-gether
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:06:24 PM »
Try uninstalling and re-installing Avast.

What OS are you using?  If it's XP, I have found that Winsock XP Fix solves lots of problems with web browsers.

http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Diazruanova

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »
I have given up on trying to have my Firefox browser work with Avast 5. I have tried various configs within Avast Web Shield,but nothing works as would be expected.
I first noticed the problem on a security forum site that I frequent every day.
When I first enter the site,every thing seems to be okay,but when I go to another page,it is not displaying the same as it would if Web Shield was DISABLED.
Secondly,after going to a NEW page,on the same site,I am no longer "logged" into the site,so naturally can.t post anything.If I try to re-log-in on same site I get a page saying "Cookie Blocked"...???? (Not So)
Under the help section,it advises on how to use the Exclusions.
I did this using all there suggestions....eg: for the whole site to be available....http://www.xxxx.com/*,but that has no effect,still the same problem.
To-day,when I came to the Avast site,with the Web Shield ENABLED,I couldn,t log in,and got the message,wrong password???? I then DISABLED Web Shield and all was well.
Does anyone have a reason why this is happening?....AND how to get it to work properly,without running it DISABLED????

Are you using Online Armor Firewall ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
@ sammi 1820
Did avast 5 and the previous version of firefox work with the web shield enabled ?

As it is working just fine with me and firefox 3.5.7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:13:19 PM »
absolutely no problem here with 3.6..and the web shield. They seem to like each other so far  ;)

sammi 1820

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »
Hi,
No Online Armor---Zone Alarm
O/S --Winxp
It is my understanding that the Winsock fix is not site specific,but for all sites.
I fail to see how an install/un-install is going to solve this particular problem.

DavidR,
I do not believe I ran 4.8 with the Web Shield enabled.
Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:30:08 PM »
@ sammi 1820
Did avast 5 and the previous version of firefox work with the web shield enabled ?

As it is working just fine with me and firefox 3.5.7.

Your Core2Duo E8300/ 2GB Ram system is way faster than my XP Pro P4 2.8GHZ, 768MB RAM system and that is about the speed and capacity of most XP systems in use I believe.

Maybe a poll should be set up for people with avast! V5 and XP that have problems that gathers:

* processor type and speed
* RAM installed
* MBAM installed and free or Pro version
* Windows Defender installed
* software firewall installed

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 11:41:28 PM »
Whilst it may be more powerful, it really has no bearing on the question that I asked as it was about sammi's system not mine, did his previously work with 5.0 and firefox before he updated to 3.6.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sammi 1820

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 03:48:59 AM »
Hi,
Well with a lot more tinkering,prodding,and trying to get to the bottom of this,I started to look very closely at my firewall,and its settings.
I added some entries from Avasts folder into programs,and started a matter of elemination of what I had added to the program entries.
I believe I have found and corrected my problem,as Firefox is now working as it should on the 2 sites I was having problems with.
The entry I added,that was not there before,and I believe was resposible for this problem was aswrundll.exe.
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 04:14:40 AM »
Thanks for the update, glad it is now working for you.