Author Topic: Test Connection Failure  (Read 3745 times)

norel

Test Connection Failure
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »
In version 5.0.377, if I go to the setup window through Programs and Features, click Proxy Settings then Test Connection it always comes back with "Cannot connect to the server using these settings. Please change the proxy server settings and try the test again." Whether it's set to "Direct connection" or "Auto" I get the same mesage. When I discovered it was doing this yesterday I uninstalled 5 and reinstalled 4.8. The connection tested good with 4.8 but then when I reinstalled 5 got error message again.

I don't think it needs repairing or reinstallation, I've tried that.

UPDATE: Just received latest automatic update 100125-1 so apparently the updates are working but it's incorrectly reporting my connection status. Something's off, but as long as updates keep coming I can live with that. All my connection settings are on defaults.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:07:46 PM by norel »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Test Connection Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »
Do you actually use a proxy to connect to the internet ?

If you do have you a) selected Specify proxy server and b) entered the details  set the proxy settings and any Authentication if required ?

If the answer is no, how is it possible to to test a proxy that isn't setup.

You have me at a loss as I can't find the Programs and Features that you speak of, for that matter I'm not sure what you mean by "if I go to the setup window" I also can't find this test proxy button.

What avast 5.0 program are you running, free/pro/suite ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

norel

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:30:32 AM »
In XP it's accessed from  Add/Remove Programs, where you do Change, Repair, etc. In Vista, the little window that opens is entitled "avast! Free Antivirus Setup" in the title bar across the very top. You click the Proxy Settings button and then Test Connection. When you open the "Proxy Settings" window you are given the option to select Direct connect, Auto or Specify proxy.

I connect directly by dial-up, no proxy. I'd be curious to know if anyone else is also having this issue.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:35:32 AM by norel »

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »
The same thing happened to me, no matter what I tried Avast wouldn't update. I did a repair and a re-install but nothing happened. I had to revert to Version 4.8 until it's sorted out.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 01:34:35 AM »
In XP it's accessed from  Add/Remove Programs, where you do Change, Repair, etc. In Vista, the little window that opens is entitled "avast! Free Antivirus Setup" in the title bar across the very top. You click the Proxy Settings button and then Test Connection. When you open the "Proxy Settings" window you are given the option to select Direct connect, Auto or Specify proxy.

I connect directly by dial-up, no proxy. I'd be curious to know if anyone else is also having this issue.

OK now I know where you are at, but it doesn't change what I said, if you haven't setup a proxy in the area of my image, then how is it going to test it no matter where the test is run from.

You said you don't use a proxy, so how can it test it, it can't, so I would expect it to fail. I too don't use a proxy and I don't have a proxy set in the avast settings, update section of avast and testing returns a fail, see image, as expected.

So what issue ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 01:46:05 AM »
The same thing happened to me, no matter what I tried Avast wouldn't update. I did a repair and a re-install but nothing happened. I had to revert to Version 4.8 until it's sorted out.

I don't know if your problem is the same as this topic, because this one is about testing a proxy connection when no proxy is present.

norel

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:28 AM »
If it's for a Proxy only then why would the other options even be available? And it doesn't explain why in 4.8 it tested positive when I had "Direct Connection (no proxy)" selected.

I don't know if it will help but here are pictures. In this example I have "Auto" selected because that's the default setting and is apparently working, but this is saying no:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:01:09 AM by norel »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 02:16:23 AM »
The other options are there because not everyone is using a proxy and the button to get to it is marked Proxy settings, so if you don't have a proxy there is no need to enter that area at all.

That window in both cases is related to the proxy, if you use it then you have to Specify the Proxy details otherwise it is going to fail when trying to test a proxy connection.

The default setting is to Auto detect, so it checks IE to see if you use a proxy  and if you did it would use that. So normally a user could get by on the default settings and never have to enter the Proxy settings window.

There are occasions when the Auto detect hasn't worked, so when that happens we suggest checking the Direct Connection (no proxy), but we don't have them test the connection, as that is pointless as there is no proxy.

Why your going that way round it and bypassing the avast 5 UI, is beyond me as those settings can be change much quicker in the UI in the first image I posted and as you will see there is no Test connection button in the UI.

norel

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 04:04:46 AM »
That's okay, you don't have to get it.  ;)