Author Topic: No start bar from win32:malware.gen?  (Read 2021 times)

MrSnow

No start bar from win32:malware.gen?
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
I have a customer that used Avast on boot and after putting some files in quarrantine he lost the start bar. So we replaced the files and were good to go. So he goes and does a scan on boot? <-Not sure how he did this.... and put some files in the Chest. Now the Chest wont load and we can't replace the files to get back up and running again.... I think they were:
C:\system_volumeinformation\restor{21p7p692-4662-421f-93BO-877BC3820711}\rp2507\A0136909.exe
and C:\windows\system32\Frz2f.temp

Is this a false positive thing? How do I restore those files if the chest is not working?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: No start bar from win32:malware.gen?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:19:07 PM »
Neither of those files would affect the task bar - one is in system restore and the other is a generic trojan dropper malware.  Your system restore chain may be broken but that is all it would do 

MrSnow

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:43:26 PM »
Well its still broke and Avast did it.... So any way to fix it would be great. It may not have been those files but regardless its still screwed. How do I get the Chest working again? Google didn't have many answers.

chevymanusa

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:34:09 AM »
Even if you could restore the system back to a point where you could use the task bar. I would strongly advise against doing that as permanent resolution. New viruses/malicious software are constantly being development and tweak to avoid scanners and make changes that are not yet noticed/discovered/recreated by anti-virus/mal-ware companies. Unless your "customer" has important programs on the system that can not be re-installed/downloaded (ie. he/she lost the discs, the company is no longer in business, etc). With that is mind I would strongly advise you (and your customer) to re-install the operating system and start from fresh. Regardless of being infected your Windows OS is corrupted and will likely not fully-function (...easily).  Of course you would do the smart thing and back up to another computer/drive via a slave connection.

Oh and to address your last comment about "its still broke and Avast did it..."
From the sounds of it, you have a  "customer" that was/is unfamiliar with Avast and boot scans. Some how that customer managed to start a boot scan and when promoted to delete files, I am guessing that he/she selected the option to delete all regardless of where they were located or what they were. At that point Avast warned him (at least in 4.8) that by doing so may delete files needed for system operation (something alone those lines). I am not to sure you can blame someone for something if they warning prior to doing it what may happen.

Anyways good luck and happy computing!

MrSnow

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »
Format and Reload.  >:(