Author Topic: [petition] Bring back avast 4.8 and revamp 5.0  (Read 5812 times)

zone12

[petition] Bring back avast 4.8 and revamp 5.0
« on: January 26, 2010, 03:51:15 AM »
I'm sure that the devs are working hard to fix up the new 5.0 but for the meantime can we update the 5.0s back to the 4.8s? It'd save alot of trouble for people. I think that this would be most helpful with people like me, I have one resold bought computer that I cannot get into the Safemode in anyway therefore having no way to remove the avast core.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [petition] Bring back avast 4.8 and revamp 5.0
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:36:10 AM »
There is nothing stopping you doing a clean install of 4.8 by, uninstalling 5.0, rebooting and installing 4.8.

So why can't you uninstall avast 5.0 from normal mode using windows add remove programs ?
Why can't you get into safe mode, what errors are you getting ?

Given the problems that some are having updating to 5.0 from 4.8, do you really think it would be a good idea to do the same in reverse ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DragoXT

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 05:33:57 AM »
It seems to me that everyone complaining about problems with the new Avast 5 dont know how to properly uninstall anti-virus software.  Every anti-virus program leaves parts of itself behind on the disk and in the registry, all you have to do is go and get rid of them.  If you dont want to do it manually, then use a free utility like Ccleaner.  Im running xp home sp2, no problems, and Avast 5 runs faster than it ever has.  I have a 5 year old computer single core chip and only a gig of RAM.  Avast's uninstaller is one of the best i have come across as it does get rid of all of the important stuff, though  maybe the new installer for avast 5 is referencing these registry entries that are left behind and by them already being there, they are skipped and their settings are incompatible with the new version. 

Anyone upgrading should do a complete uninstall of avast 4.8, restart, run Ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/download, install Avast 5, restart, and then let avast update the latest virus defs. 

Marc999

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:10:29 AM »
@DragoXP "everyone complaining about problems with the new Avast 5 dont know how to properly uninstall anti-virus software.  Every anti-virus program leaves parts of itself behind on the disk and in the registry, all you have to do is go and get rid of them.  If you dont want to do it manually, then use a free utility like Ccleaner.  Im running xp home sp2, no problems, and Avast 5 runs faster than it ever has.  I have a 5 year old computer single core chip and only a gig of RAM.  Avast's uninstaller is one of the best i have come across as it does get rid of all of the important stuff, though  maybe the new installer for avast 5 is referencing these registry entries that are left behind and by them already being there, they are skipped and their settings are incompatible with the new version."

Drago, you couldn't more wrong if you tried.  I'm running Windows XP SP3.  You're not the only person who understands how to properly uninstall software.  Avast 5 is very unstable as referenced by many Windows XP users here.  I properly uninstalled Avast 4.8 using the Avast uninstall utility as well as running CCleaner and ensuring all references to Avast 4.8 were removed from Zone Alarm.  As far as my computer knows, Avast 4.8 didn't exist by the time I installed Avast 5.
Count yourself lucky that you can run Avast 5 in its current state under Windows XP.  But get off your high horse and lose the obnoxious attitude.

DragoXT

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:28:55 PM »
Marc999, you comment is completely uncalled for.  If you followed all the proper steps to uninstall avast 4.8 and still have issues with avast 5, then look at the other security programs you are running for spyware and firewall.  More than likely one of those programs with an active scanner or what not is fighting with avast 5 and causing problems.  If people wouldnt just give up and then bitch about the program not working and blame the program when avast 5 isnt the only security program on their computer, im confident that most of these issues would be resolved.  There are already a few threads referencing that MalwareBytes has a direct conflict with Avast 5, as well as several firewalls messing with the web scanner causing issues when browsing.  It isnt that hard to troubleshoot problems, you just have to think instead of bitch.

georgermct

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »
I didn't know (or hear) that Malwarbytes has issues with Avast 5.
Is there a known issues post some where?

Seems Avast has some issues with other software programs too.

Will this be fixed in an updated 5.x or do we have to uninstall all conflicting software?

jeffj4873

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
Apparently PowerDVD is conflicting with 5.9. But I wouldn't petition. I would just expect them to keep supporting 4.8 till 5.0 is better debugged.

gideond

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »
Malwarebytes only has issues with Avast when you have the full version with active shields running. The free on demand scanner doesn't have any issues I'm aware of. The problem with the "check your other software" mindset is that my other software hasn't changed. Avast has changed. And now there is a problem. That makes it an Avast problem. If 4.8 didn't have these issues, why does 5.0? Obviously Avast can't possibly be at fault!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:14:38 PM »
Back to 4.8 ? Never. avast! 5 totally rocks. If there are problems, fully re-install it. Direct update from avast! 4.8 to avast! 5.0 i susually the main reason for problems.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

garrett

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »
Back to 4.8 ? Never. avast! 5 totally rocks. If there are problems, fully re-install it. Direct update from avast! 4.8 to avast! 5.0 i susually the main reason for problems.

Looking at all the posts reporting all kind of issues with v. 5 (especially BSODs), you cannot deny their existence. Personally, I have installed avast 5 from scratch after uninstalling v. 4.8, running the avast cleaner utility in safe mode (as recommended) and ccleaner, but I'm still experiencing BSODs and freezing while browsing. And I have no other security tool installed on my pc. No problem with beta version instead.