Author Topic: Bad Press  (Read 4936 times)

PhilR

Bad Press
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »

norel

Re: Bad Press
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »
With all due respect, how is that bad press for avast!? It's just an article about conflicts between antimalware software which affects almost all of 'em nowadays, not just avast!.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »
not even mentioning that as usual, on a non-security software oriented web site, the author of the article doesn't know what he's talking about. Seen that before, on French, US and UK newspapers websites. Same went when presenting Vista, Seven, relating new security threats... it's always a mixture of information picked up on many places while the author of the article sometimes doesn't even realize that he's "arguing" using conflicting sources  :D

edit: unfortunately, this site doesn't allow comments; and the guy finishes his article by giving the link to avast uninstall utility  ::) this would have deserved a few words. On the other hand, when you strongly disagree with someone on such a site and comment is allowed, they don't publish your text, so let him go to hell  :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:14:10 PM by Logos »

PhilR

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:15:39 PM »
The Guardian does allow comments (you have to register first), and Jack Schofield is a well-respected journalist.

Oh, and Jack's email address is there if Alwil wishes to comment.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:46:07 PM by PhilR »

ibell63

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:30:58 AM »
Is this issue being looked into by Alwil?

EntitY

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:18:52 AM »
I thought SpyBot was old school or outdated anyway. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are better and scan quicker.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »

what issue  ???

fblais

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:21:14 PM »
I thought SpyBot was old school or outdated anyway. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are better and scan quicker.
I'm having a compatibility problem with MBAM real-time and AVAST 5.
Seems I'm not alone either:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53898.0
MBAM issues are discussed toward the end of the thread.

ibell63

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 12:53:10 AM »

what issue  ???

The issue with Avast5 being incompatible with spybot : search and destroy...The issue discussed in the linked article on the guardian.

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 01:00:11 AM »

what issue  ???

The issue with Avast5 being incompatible with spybot : search and destroy...The issue discussed in the linked article on the guardian.
was meaningless to me  ;D ... especially when a noob like this "journalist" advises to ditch Avast  ::)

PhilR

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 01:11:48 AM »

what issue  ???

was meaningless to me  ;D ... especially when a noob like this "journalist" advises to ditch Avast  ::)
Jack Schofield is no noob, I assure you.