Author Topic: New version of Avast causes stuttering audio  (Read 15360 times)

2nd base

New version of Avast causes stuttering audio
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:10 AM »
Does anyone know why any audio played now, whether it be youtube or whatever, constantly stutters? It didn't do it before I updated to the new version 5. Now that I have updated, everything stutters unless I disable the antivirus. Obviously, it's not my soundcard or BIOS or drivers or it would still do it when I disable this antivirus.

Hermite15

Re: New version of Avast causes stuttering audio
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:51:35 AM »
Hi,

I read a few times that some people had video streaming issues after installing avast 5...sorry no idea, I don't have this problem and never had it with the various beta builds I tested. Must be something wrong with the web shield in certain conditions. What brings deactivating the web shield (not that I advise it), any changes ?

2nd base

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »
If I disable it via the 10 minute option in the notifications area of the taskbar, the video runs fine. Once the time is up, it goes back to stuttering. It's a windows xp installation, btw. Forgot to mention that. It doesn't slow down my computer at all which is good, it's just that I use youtube alot and that just happens to be what is messing up. I have the videos set to low res and speed too just to see if it makes a difference but no dice.

It's all of my audio. Not just youtube, as I had thought. Any video that I play anywhere at all stutters. The video picture is fine though. Reinstalled the operating system after my first post just because i had the time to do so and it remains the same.
All avast settings are left at default settings if that helps. Although  did change the update timer to 480
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:08:41 PM by 2nd base »

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:09:58 PM »
the thing is according to the default settings, videos and audio are not supposed to be scanned (video/* and audio/* in the exclusion list) so your issue is weird, could you check if you have these in the exclusion list (web shield expert settings) ?

mokkaman

Re: avast 5 update
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »
when will avast5 come via updater of version 4.8;;?

Hermite15

Re: avast 5 update
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:48:33 PM »
when will avast5 come via updater of version 4.8;;?

why do you post that here  ???

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:00:42 PM »
I never had this problem and which browser do you use?

2nd base

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 01:33:33 AM »
I never had this problem and which browser do you use?

IE8 with only 2 add-ons (load time of less than a second) and no accelerators.

2nd base

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 01:35:04 AM »
the thing is according to the default settings, videos and audio are not supposed to be scanned (video/* and audio/* in the exclusion list) so your issue is weird, could you check if you have these in the exclusion list (web shield expert settings) ?

That seems to be ok. Is as it is supposed to be.

Charuto

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 02:59:37 AM »
This happens to me too when I'm browsing the web, downloading, and playing anything with audio at the same time. I'm pretty sure it's the shields because everything is hunky dory when they're turned off.

I'm on XP SP3 and using Firefox.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 03:16:05 AM »
Since avast! 5 I get a little stuttering with magicJack.  Mostly when I make a call the stuttering is in the ring while I'm waiting for someone to answer. 

2nd base

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »
Since avast! 5 I get a little stuttering with magicJack. mostly when I make a call the stuttering is in the ring while I'm waiting for someone to answer.  

Well, that's interesting. When you scribbled "magic jack", I looked under my desk to see if I had anything plugged into my usb and found that I had a flash drive plugged in with about 4 thousand of my sons baseball photos and quicktime movies on it. Once I unplugged the flash drive, I played a web video successfully without any stuttering while running Avast!

Will have to wait and see if it happens again. It may just be a coincidence but will post back after I check out some other hardware settings. It may not necessarily be Avast! causing the problem, per se.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:37:11 AM by 2nd base »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 05:11:56 AM »
Hah,

Now I realize that I also have this problem with my VOIP software

2nd base

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 05:19:40 AM »
The usb thought was not relevant, I guess. I still have the problem. I don't get it. It has to be the scanning engine being rude. That's all I can come up with. On a side note, make sure that if you have updated from 4.8 to the new version that you check you're IM settings for scanning attatchments sent via IM. Mine was still set to scan with the old 4.8 quick scanner even though it is no longer there to scan with. Change it to reflect the location for the new version of the quick scanner.

Sure wish that they would have left the option to enable the view of the update in progress icon.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:42:13 AM by 2nd base »

shae_32

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:45:10 AM »
You know, I wonder if you're on to something here. I've had that happen to me too.  :-\

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Flash Player, also did a System Restore to be safe. LOL and I also got a hold of Adobe's Flash Player debugger thing. (It debugs the Active X control.) So far, seems okay. Hmm...wonder if it's some issue with Adobe Flash latest player and Avast new version? ???