Author Topic: New version of Avast causes stuttering audio  (Read 15320 times)

2nd base

Re: New version of Avast causes stuttering audio
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 05:53:15 AM »
I don't know. there is all kinds of quirky little things happening now that never happened before. Even took the silly notion that maybe defragmenting may help but even that won't function as usual. At the end of the defragment, the report states that there were files that could not be defragmented. This has never happened and I defragment almost daily.

2nd base

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 05:59:52 AM »
I'm afraid to keep looking for reasons as to why it's happening with the sound problem. Every time I go looking, I find something new thats broken since this update. Except now it's an actual system program that's fudged up. Guess it's true that nothing really is free after all.......

shae_32

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »
Well, I ended up putting YouTube in the URL exclusions. No more issues with the sound in the videos flipping out. :D

2nd base

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 09:53:39 AM »
This problem is really peeving me to no end. >:( >:

andrew932

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 05:07:32 PM »
I'm getting the exact same problem. I didn't realise a topic had already made as I posted one in the Avast home/pro forum. Hasn't done it today but I don't think it even bothered to load at all because the icon hasn't come up on the taskbar. Arghh!

I certasinly wouldn't put youtube into the exclusions list.

coolsilver

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 06:48:48 AM »
I have on my netbook with Win 7 and Avastt 5. I'm not sure it is the Windows 7 itself or Avast. My other Windows 7 machine runs perfect with Avast 5.

TcRoc

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »
I am having the same problems with video and audio ,, I installed yesterday ,,,, any idea how to fix this.
And it doesn't matter if I turn the shields off ,,everything  audio or video is still not right... I sure hope downloading this Program that is suppose to help didn't muff my system up permenetly
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:41:53 PM by TcRoc »

bastienrehm

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 09:55:22 PM »
I had the problem as well.

Like someone else mentioned it had to do with the shields, so I disabled every shield one by one to see which one was the cause.

It turns out it was the behavioral shield. So I just disabled it permanently and the problem was solved. If there is anyway to "fix" this on the avast developpers' end it'd be nice unless that's how it's intended to work.

By the way it also makes the cursor stutter a lot, like it's not responsive anymore or the cpu is overwhelmed which it's not.

Edit: According to Gopher John, things are fixed with the latest update after a reboot (very important) thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54229.0
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:41:45 PM by bastienrehm »

OmegaWolf747

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 12:28:37 AM »
Hi! I've also been having this problem on two different laptops, both Toshiba Satellites! One was a Windows Vista Home Premium whose HDD finally died after the stuttering got really bad and this one running Windows 7 Home Premium. The only constant between both is that I had Avast 4.8 on them. I would hate to think Avast would cause such problems, up to and including the death of a laptop's hard drive.

I love Avast and don't want to change antivirus programs. However, I plan to run Unreal Tournament 2004 on this laptop in the next few months and don't want Avast to cause stuttering in my game.

The poster before me mentioned disabling a "behavioral shield". Which one is that? The services I have listed are: Internet Mail, Instant Messaging, Network Shield, Outlook/Exchange, P2P Shield, Standard Shield, Web Shield.

Also, someone mentioned adding YouTube's URL to a whitelist of sites not to check. Why would this be a bad idea? YouTube is just a video site.

Thanks.

shae_32

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 04:35:36 AM »
Hi OmegaWolf,

The version of Avast that has the Behavior Shield is 5.0 :) I ended up putting the FLV extension in the MIME type extensions. There's something with how the Web Sheild or various other shields behave with that kind of content for some reason.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question. I don't know why that would be happening with Avast 4.8  ???

OmegaWolf747

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 04:56:53 PM »
I wish I knew too. It's quite noisome. On my old computer, these stutters turned into freezeups and BSODs. I would hate to think Avast was the cause.

Can filetype exceptions be added in 4.8? I looked in Exceptions in Setup, but all it talks about adding are these things called masks.