Author Topic: aswTdi.sys crash with IE8  (Read 12293 times)

YoKenny

Re: aswTdi.sys crash with IE8
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
@sparge

Politeness goes a long way.

frostbytez

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »
Sparge, I'm pretty good at these type of issues.

What's your blue screen code at the second line of the bluescreen?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
Hello Sparge, both your dumps relate to the verifier induced bugcheck, stating that aswtdi.sys driver did not return correct status code. As a filter, aswtdi most of the times returns the status code from the driver bellow. Do you run Verifier also on other TDI drivers in the system (OA)? Could you create kernel dump where there is more info than just a stack trace? Thanks a lot.

Lukas.

sparge

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 12:11:02 AM »
@sparge
Politeness goes a long way.

@YoKenny,

When first asked to submit minidumps, I said this:

"Hi guys,

I went for the email option as FTPing is not something I could do without spending a while doing my homework. I put a link to this thread in the email and the attachment is called sparge_dumps.zip. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out and fixed RSN.

As regards updating, I have my settings for program update set to "ask me when an update is available", so I don't know why I'm lagging. I've just changed to "automatic" and done the business manually."

and three days later I said this:

"Hello? Did the files arrive OK? Has anyone taken a look at them yet?"

and eleven days after that I said:

"Well, did they? I don't get this forum. Some people send minidumps and get liberal feedback. Others, of whom I seem to be one, seem to discover only a communicative black hole."

That last one was impolite, I grant. So, I submit, was zero feedback two weeks after sending something I was asked to send. So my impoliteness was hardly unprovoked.

sparge

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 12:19:42 AM »
Hello Sparge, both your dumps relate to the verifier induced bugcheck, stating that aswtdi.sys driver did not return correct status code. As a filter, aswtdi most of the times returns the status code from the driver bellow. Do you run Verifier also on other TDI drivers in the system (OA)? Could you create kernel dump where there is more info than just a stack trace? Thanks a lot.

Lukas.

Hi Lukas,

At the time those minidumps were created, I had Verifier set to track every driver on the system. I did, once or twice and inadvertently, create a couple of full-blown memory dumps that were a couple of GB in size, but I didn't keep them. I've set Windows up to create a kernel dump rather than a minidump. I'll set Verifier up like before and see what happens.

Andy

sparge

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 01:58:48 AM »
<posts from different PC>
Well, creating the kernel dump was the easy part - in fact, I've created about 15 so far, because long story short, I can't get back into safe mode, in order to reset Verifier and get out of the BSOD-at-logon-screen loop. So far I've managed to interrupt the boot sequence twice out of about 15 attempts, and on both occasions, whilst Safe Mode has been one of the options displayed, Start Windows Normally has been the only option I can actually choose. Groundhog Day, anyone?

It seems that I can avoid the BSOD-at-logon by a rapid Ctrl-Alt-Del-Del to get the old-fashioned logon prompt. On one such occasion, I logged on to try and reset Verifier, and managed to tell Online Armor not to block Verifier (something it's never done before) before I got a BSOD. On a second occasion, I managed to get the Verifier GUI up, and selected the radio button to delete existing settings before I got a BSOD. As yet, no surprise, the change doesn't seem to have propogated to whereever it needs to propogate to in order to revert things to normal. Currently I'm being told, via my wallpaper, that Windows has experienced an unexpected error and has thereore turned off my active desktop (that wasn't actually switched on before).

I've noticed before that the target PC seems to have a bit of a deaf spot where hearing F8 at bootup is concerned. So much as I'd love to upload all my kernel dumps, I'm having a bit of trouble getting to the stage where I can do so. Right now, my concern is that I might end up filling my C drive with kernel dumps before I can get back to normal and upload and delete them, because if that happens I'm really in trouble. So any help with avoiding this fate would be greatly appreciated.

No doubt YoKenny will see this as just retribution for my insufficiency of politeness   ???

Andy
</posts from different PC>

sparge

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 12:09:27 AM »
I finally figured out what the problem was. Since I first generfated the original BSOD, I've changed wired keyboard and mouse for USB wireless keyboard and mouse, but BIOS support for USB keyboard and mouse was still disabled. Once I sorted that out, getting into safe mode and putting everything back to normal was easy. So, I've regenerated 292.7 MB of brand new kernel dump, but I can't figure out how to upload it. I've found this link location from other posts:

http://ftp//ftp.avast.com/incoming

(it displays as http://ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, but when I copy and paste it, it loses the second colon). If I copy the link location, and paste it in Windows Explorer, or Firefox, and hit Return, a new tab opens up in Firefox for this web page:

http://microfocus.com/

If I paste it in Internet Explorer, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. What you can try ..."

I did try cutting off the http:// and pasting ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming into Explorer. That looks hopeful because I can see directory structure under ftp://ftp.avast.com in the LH pane, but when I try and drop the file in there, I get the following error message. How can I upload this kernel dump, please?

Andy
--

FTP folder error

An error occurred copying a file to the FTP server. Make sure you have permission to put files on the server.

Details:

200 Switching to binary mode
227 Entering passive mode (91,213,143,55,151,243)
553 Could not create file

sparge

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 01:09:20 AM »
Incoming ... once I compressed it, it started to transfer fine. QUite surprised by the huge compression ratio; I thought a memory dump would have been a pretty terse format. Every day's a school day.

Sorry for being the author of several consecutive posts - bad form, I know. This will be the last until there's something to reply to.

Andy

bighorn60

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 03:42:48 AM »
Sparge, did you ever find out how to upload dump file? I have tried and get the same error message. Still looking for a solution. The new Avast seems to be the culprit in mine and relatives PC's. Bob H

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 07:55:08 AM »
Since you don't have List access on ftp, you may not know that the file, you're going to upload, can already exist on ftp. Try to rename the file and do that again. Thanks.

sparge

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
Sparge, did you ever find out how to upload dump file? I have tried and get the same error message. Still looking for a solution. The new Avast seems to be the culprit in mine and relatives PC's. Bob H

Hi,

Zipping it up was what seemed to do the trick for me. Still trying to figure out what the trick is for getting any feedback though  ???

Andy