Author Topic: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 aswsp.sys blue screen  (Read 27550 times)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 aswsp.sys blue screen
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 01:18:59 AM »
edifyguy, thanks for your dump... it seems your CPU doesn't support one instruction, or it doesn't work well on your AMD (K7 model I guess).

Would you mind to do some tests?
1) Please download CrystalCPUID tool: http://release.crystaldew.info/CrystalCPUID
2) Unpack & run. What's your "CPU Name"? Is it AMD K7 or something else?
3) In menu, click Function/Feature Flags, see 6th row "Model Specific Registers (MSR)", what's there: Yes or No?
4) If it's "Yes", click Function/MSR Walker, press START, go to MSR index 176 - is it present? If yes, what value do you see?

Thanks!

edifyguy

Re: Windows XP aswsp.sys BSOD
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 05:24:01 AM »
CPU NAME: AMD K6-III+ (coulda told you that with no help from the Crystal ball.....)

MSR=YES

MSR Walker doesn't give me the output you apparently had hoped for. This is all I get:

MSR             : 63-32      31-0
--------------------------
00000000 : 00000000 00000000
00000001 : 00000000 00000000
0000000E : 00000000 00000000
00000010 : 00000051 78C78F7B

It's possible that I've slipped a digit here, but I was pretty careful. Why on earth would you be using CPU-spcific instructions anyway? And why does it only freak out when loaded at boot? Why not when it's first installed? Why does it still freak out when I disable the Avast! self-protection module from the UI?

So many questions, so little time!

Just know that I will cooperate fully to make Avast 5 as stable and compatible as Avast 4 is. I love Avast, and am a reseller as well, so I need it to be the best that it can be, and I'm willing to help it be that. I would recommend supporting Avast 4 with at least VPS updates indefinitely, as there are still more 9x/ME systems out there than you'd think, at least in this country............

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:35:01 AM by edifyguy »

YoKenny

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 01:30:07 PM »
, as there are still more 9x/ME systems out there than you'd think, at least in this country............

The US is one of the most infected countries on the Internet so it would benefit you to assist them in convincing the users to upgrade to a more secure operating system like XP.

Malware Infection Rate Worldwide
United States : 58.25%
http://techcrunchies.com/malware-infection-rate-worldwide

Top Spam Producing Countries
1. USA : 15.6%
http://techcrunchies.com/category/security

edifyguy

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
No argument there, but of course, there are some people who just aren't going to change until something dies. Besides, I still like Windows 98. I don't use it much anymore, but I still understand why someone would choose to keep using it as long as possible.

I can't think it would take much resources to just compile the VPS updates again for 4.8......would it? Just another click, I'd imagine. In fact, the whole process could surely be automated so that you just load in new signatures, and updates for both versions populate, so there'd be no reason not to support 4.8 with VPS indefinitely. I agree that program development on 4.8 should stop, and probably has, but it's already "there" as far as I'm concerned, and just keeping VPS updates for it should be no grief at all.

edifyguy

Re: XP BSOD, same file
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »
So what are you learning, pk? Have the coders inadvertently hooked a CPU routine that doesn't exist on some older machines? Are they going to be able to change it to be compatible without a total rethink of the file?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »
edifyguy: we'll fix it; rdmsr instruction is used to read internal CPU's machine specific registers. In fact, it's used at several places in avast - e.g. behavior shield checks if an application abuses its authority and modify them (there're some exploits that change the MSR register to point to their code and they're executed in the protected mode, ring 0), x64 virtualization module uses rdmsr to find kernel-mode input entry, etc.

edifyguy

Re: XP BSOD on AMD K6
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »
Thanks for looking at it. Compatibility is tough across so many hardware platforms. Let me know if you need me to test something more on it. The machine was for sale as a refurb, but I think I'm going to hang onto it until we get this shaken out, as it makes a nice test machine for this compatibility issue. I am a reseller, too, and more than happy to help with program development inasmuch as I am able.

YoKenny

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2010, 06:20:09 PM »
Some systems need to be put out to pasture because they are too old to be useful anymore:
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+out+to+pasture

Now where is my key to my Model T "Tin Lizzy" as I need to take a spin in the country to enjoy this Spring weather.  8)
http://www.wiley.com/legacy/products/subject/business/forbes/ford.html

edifyguy

Re: XP BSOD on AMD K6-III+
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »
YoKenny,

That's ridiculous. If the machine can still execute code required to perform everyday operations like web browsing and email, there's no reason that some non-speed demon (obviously not yourself) can't get some use out of it. There are plenty of people, including, but not limited to, the elderly, for whom that system is perfectly adequate. I have tested everything in it to be certain that it will be reliable for years to come, and there's no reason to send it "fishing" just because it's not fast enough to pleasure your game spot.....

The "Model T" comparison also doesn't work, because we're not dealing with the huge reliability and safety differences between modern cars and the Model T. A better comparison would be a 2010 Audi R8 and a 1997 Ford Taurus. There's no question which is the more powerful car, no question which is nicer, or niftier, or more fun, but to someone who has no interest in or need to go fast, a well-maintained 1997 Ford Taurus can be just as useful as the R8, and far more within reach financially.

Anyhow, I don't want to have that discussion on this forum, as that's not at all what this forum is about, so in the future if you feel the need to insult frugality and the desire to reduce waste by extending the useful life of things already in existence, please do so privately.

edifyguy

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
Any progress on either of the aswsp.sys BSODs? I see that build 462 is out of beta, but am unsure of whether it addresses either of our BSODs. I have not tried it on my XP K6 yet. Can anybody confirm whether it runs properly on 7 yet?

cazoza

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 08:28:10 AM »
well, it does run correctly on win 7. I have it on my win 7 machine. No issues so far.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
Any progress on either of the aswsp.sys BSODs? I see that build 462 is out of beta, but am unsure of whether it addresses either of our BSODs. I have not tried it on my XP K6 yet. Can anybody confirm whether it runs properly on 7 yet?

edifyguy,
last query: could you please run CrystalCPUID once again, go to "Function/CPUID information" - and tell me what's your EDX value for CPUID=1 ?  :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:08:33 AM by pk »

edifyguy

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »
Oh! Sure! Sorry........I lost track of this thread. I'll do that ASAP. That machine is not presently in service, but I'll hook it back up ASAP. Probably a few days, as I only have 1 slot on my bench, which is presently in use for a data recovery.