Author Topic: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 aswsp.sys blue screen  (Read 27637 times)

Sean Huong

Re: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 aswsp.sys blue screen
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »
PK,

I have got an offer to have automatic update to AIS 5.396. I though it is better but after updating and restart. it become worst. it is even more serious than 5.377.

i got 2 blue screen within 5 minutes and now need to start in Safe Mode.

Can i just restore back to AIS 5.394 with windows restore?

Hope it will be fix soon. :(

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
Could you please send me those 2 minidumps on kurtin@avast.com? Thanks.

Sean Huong

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »
Done. there are in total 6 files.

I have re-installed AIS 5.396 and went back to 5.394 but still could not avoid the blue screen. i cannot continue with it anymore. i need to switch back to 4.8 until everything is fine.

Can i use my license of AIS 5 with the 4.8? if yes, i prefer to choose it.

Thanks

acdcfan

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
Hi Igor or PK
Can you please answer my post above about upgrading avast 4.8 to 5.0

Sean Huong

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 08:24:12 AM »
what is the result of your analyzing? when could i switch back to stable AIS 5?

Thanks

Sean Huong

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 04:11:19 AM »
All,

after being quiet for a while, i learn about the new release of AIS 5.0.415. i have download and installed it and also updated it to 5.0.418.

However, there is no improvement. what i mean is the blue screen still keep showing up and i could not work at all until i re-installed it.

when do you guy think we need to help you testing your program? it becomes very boring now.

:(

cazoza

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 06:10:51 AM »
If you dont want to help alwill, just stop doing it and keep the forums clean from complainings, we are here to help, not to cause more problems. And if you dont want to continue using avast that's your call, not us.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 09:21:33 AM »
All,

after being quiet for a while, i learn about the new release of AIS 5.0.415. i have download and installed it and also updated it to 5.0.418.

However, there is no improvement. what i mean is the blue screen still keep showing up and i could not work at all until i re-installed it.

when do you guy think we need to help you testing your program? it becomes very boring now.

:(

Have you already submitted the dump file for further analysis?

Thanks
vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

edifyguy

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 01:55:48 AM »
I just got that behavior on a machine with XPx86 on it. It was working fine with 4.8. I installed 5.0.377 and got BSOD. I will download the latest version and see if it fixes the problem for me. It was set to do minidump only. If I continue to get this problem with the latest version I'll have it make a full dump and upload it.

Edit: it was actually 5.0.396. I'll let you know if the latest version fixes it. And I'm dealing with the Free version of A5. Also possibly significant is that even when I disabled the self-protection module, it still gave me that BSOD. Ironically, when it is first installed, all was well. After a reboot......not so well. Not even usable.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:06:43 AM by edifyguy »

edifyguy

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 03:21:41 AM »
Well, .418 did the same thing in the same place. This is an older computer running at a little over 600MHz, so I checked the box that says "load Avast! services after system services load." This is a good optimization for older machines, as it lessens the startup load, and I very much appreciate its inclusion. I understand why it's NOT checked by default, but rather wish it were. But I digress.

Here's the behavior: system loads and working desktop appears. System works fine for some seconds. Orange A-ball appears with red X. Red X changes to yellow exclamation mark. Some seconds later, BSOD. This is repeatable. It happens every time. I even took out a memory stick to see if that might be the matter. This machine is odd about its memory, and will give a BSOD if you run 3 256MB sticks in it (known gremlin with that board) but I had zero problems with it running on 2 sticks until I installed A5.

I am attempting to upload my memory dump now, but my internet connection is somewhat slow and very cantankerous, so it may take a bit of doing, and I may ultimately do it from a friend's house. The file name will be kerneldump-edifyguy-xpsp3-avast5-0-418.7z or some variation upon it (depending on what happens with failed writes.....seems your server won't allow overwrites.)

YoKenny

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 04:41:46 AM »
@  edifyguy

I doubt you will be able to use avast! V5 on such an old system. 

I think v4.8 will be supported until the end of 2010.

edifyguy

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 05:13:09 AM »
It works fine with Windows XP, and really it's the OS that you're supporting, not the computer itself. Avast 5 runs fine on the machine, except for that BSOD problem. For example, if I install it and don't reboot, Avast 5 (unlike Avast 4) is running, as it simply starts the services with the machine hot, and everything is fine. It's presumably a conflict with some obscure aspect of the operating system that this box brings out for some reason.

For now, I did put 4.8 back on it just to do the job in the meantime, but I will upload the dump anyway, because XP is not going away any time soon, and if it did it to me, it'll do it to someone else, and that's a black eye (blue eye?) that Avast! doesn't need. Your coders can figure out what caused it and fix it, I'm sure. I have confidence in them. :P

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
edifyguy, would you mind to reupload kerneldump?

We got three files from you, but all of them are incomplete:
03/03/2010  03:25 AM             2,760 kerneldump-edifyguy-xpsp3-avast5-0-418-try3.7z
03/03/2010  03:24 AM           672,736 kerneldump-edifyguy-xpsp3-avast5-0-418-try2.7z
03/03/2010  03:09 AM           524,288 kerneldump-edifyguy-xpsp3-avast5-0-418.7z

If you have slow connection, you can upload a couple of latests minidumps (\Windows\Minidump folder) instead of kerneldump.
Thanks!

edifyguy

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
I know, I'll re-upload it from a friend's house later today. Worse than slow, it's also unreliable, and that causes timeouts on FTP. The full file is about 7.5MB, down from 40. 7zip is pretty amazing!

edifyguy

Re: XP BSOD on same .sys
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 11:51:39 PM »
It's there now. Went to a friend's house with cable.

I might analyze it myself to see what might be the matter. 4.8 works without a hitch.

Jason