Author Topic: avast 5 removal tool  (Read 248307 times)

dgreenhouse

Re: I've got to leave Avast
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 04:22:58 AM »
I was just about to buy Avast for a number of systems, but I can't imagine making a purchase at this point.

After experiencing a crash last week, I installed the latest version of Avast 5.x.xxx and even upgraded to the latest release (in the hope of release from the buggyness), and as you might expect - nothing but problems!
(Fortunately my data, development apps, and projects converted over fine, but it's cost me considerable time, energy, and lost income.

This was a big misstep and might just cause Alwil to fail!

<snipped>...

Thought I'd post back in relation to my angry rant...

I'd first like to offer that Alwil might want to classify this program as - "post beta."

Also, even though I still feel this application isn't quite "ready for prime time", I have to admit something...

After 32 years in the computer field... "I got OWNED!" :D

Finally admitted to myself that which I was in denial of for 6 days...

Last week I clicked on an email link from a friend on Facebook; it was a hacked email from his iPhone, and low and behold... My firewalls and ( avast 4.8 ) notified me of the vermin... I thought the beast was dead... Hard disk bad blocks and other little mouse sounds made me clone my drive with "Clonezilla" - No probs. Back up! Yippee!

CPU utilization "through the roof!" after installing Avast 5.x and new personal firewall... Started to tweak services... A little better, but cpu util still unattractive...

Starting noticing services, registry lint, and other telltale signs that something untoward was afoot - EGHAD!

In closing, I still like Alwil, will come back once the bugs are worked out, and I'm writing a filter for my Outlook and other clients - cause I'll still be on Facebook.

All the best... I'll be spending a bit of time getting my "loins re-girded!" :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:26:41 AM by dgreenhouse »

KatznCohen

Re: avast 5 removal tool
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »
Ran the Avast cleaning  tool in safe mode but it sure doesn't remove all the leftovers by a long shot :(
i also used resplendent registry and jv 16 power tools to get out the leftovers and ascertain all was removed after the use of the avast cleanup tool and rebooting back into safe mode.
I ran resplendent and jv in safe mode to clean it up.
All is well now on another av
keep in mind this was with XP pro 32 bit all service paks and updates onboard, had frequent blue screens after new avast onboard.
had tried a subsequent clean install but still no go.

Other systems with Vista 32 and 7 64 are fine with new avast.

Same here. I installed 5.0396 over 4.8, also XP Pro SP3 with updates etc. My computer was squeaky clean. 5 froze and finally installed after 3 reboots, but it wouldn't run. I used the cleanup utility, then had to remove 200 registry keys manually anyway. Been using Avast only 6 months, and moving on to a different AV again.

Does anyone from Alwil ever post at these boards?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:32:44 PM by KatznCohen »

Sm3K3R

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:53:18 PM »
Wouldnt this thread title sound better as "avast 5 uninstall tool" instead of "avast 5 removal tool" .Word "removal" is usually asociated with malware "removal" tools and its really not the case :)
Just a suggestion !

KatznCohen

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 02:03:14 AM »
It doesn't uninstall it either.  ;D

spg SCOTT

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
This is now available from the proper download site...

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility

and the new link is:

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

smaildz

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »
thanks. it's ok

Mr.Agent

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
Shouldnt the removal tools delete the Windows Temp of avast! too ? Also in Local Temps ?

MarcZ

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »
Well, since it has been stickied, I guess that answers my question from the blog... ::)

Quote from: Me on the blog...
@Pavel Mourek
Is this removal tool good for avast! 5?

Could we also suggest it in the forums, as people are asking for one specific to version 5…
http://blog.avast.com/2010/01/19/the-new-avast-logo/#comment-2609

Wonder when it will become official...(i.e. available from the website...)

-Scott-
Wouldn't this page be better to get the correct version? There are 2 versions, 1 for 4 and 1 for 5.
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

spg SCOTT

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 03:40:43 PM »
Not necessarily, as aswClear5.exe removes version 4 as well...

pszilard

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »
I can also vouch for RevoUninstaller. I mainly use the FREE version 9v1.85), although I purchased a PRO license, only to discover that it only works on the first installed PC. This really f(*&ed me up as I moved from Vista to Windows 7, and now I can't re-install Revo Pro. I recommend you use the free version, or just use the Pro for the 30 days eval.

Anyway, back to Avast; I wanted to go from 4.8 to 5, so instead of stuffing around with the "official" remover and booting into safe mode, I just used Revo. Worked perfectly and only 1 reboot required instead of two.

Cheers,

jwall

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 02:56:26 PM »
Using this tool, in safe mode, still leaves traces of the program.  Running regedit and putting in 'avast' in the find windows, many entries of avast are left, but easily deleted except the ones in legacy folders.  You need to change file permissions to delete these.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 05:24:54 PM »
Since you don't say what is left behind, how can anyone possibly comment.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jwall

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
Items in the registry, which should be self explanatory.  Notice I said regedit which means registry.  When you run the clean up utility, it says that registry items are removed.  I'm just saying they are not, that's all.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:26:06 PM by jwall »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 07:38:28 PM »
Hardly, as there are some legacy keys which are under the control of windows, that is why I asked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 08:46:19 PM »
No uninstaller removes all traces from Registry and Windows directories is what I have found. But what is left on the system after a good uninstaller has done its work doesn't really matter. Just (impotent) litter that you can remove manually if you wish. Or if you re-install or install upgrade of same program, leftovers should accomodate new regime. That is, with a good installer. And no, I have never found Revo to clear absolutely all Registry entries, although in somes cases certainly could be possible when uninstalling a cleverly written program.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.