Author Topic: avast 5 removal tool  (Read 248317 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: avast 5 removal tool
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »
Hi there 2bad, I hope all worked out for you. You didn't say if you ran yr install successfully.

Now, when exactly did you Remove Norman? - was it when you posted the following link or earlier?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54385.msg484863#msg484863

Anyway, could you try yr install of v.5 again. Follow directions and you may be okay this time

There have been some changes, which I  touched on in my last post.

I do not think there is a 4.8 uninstall utility anymore. The uninstall process would now appear to be part of the v.5 install process. Last night I installed the Pro version over the top of avast! Free. The program first requested I uninstall the existing which I did. The same with my installs last week, although I think the 4.8 utility was still available then. Never mind, I installed over the top and everything fine. This has been standard procedure for a few weeks now. The new install fits well into the environment, the previous version of avast being conducive to the new install - and so it should be.

You have outlined this procedure yrself in an earlier post. I say follow it again, and see how you go.

When I over-installed last night, if the existing program had been avast 4.8, then that would simply have been un-installed (but I may be corrected here), and the install of v.5 Pro would have gone ahead just as it did  - with everything good so far. Seems avast now have incorporated the 4.8 uninstall functionality into the v.5 packages. Well it was always there I guess. Nice fit. My installs are proving to be very stable.

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Hermite15

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:24 PM »
as I mentioned a bit earlier in another thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58453.msg492469#msg492469 I won't advie anymore to use the avast cleaning utility. I used it for the first time yesterday (after a failed setup of the Firewall)... all avast files in program data (config files, logs etc...) were left behind after a reboot. Uninstalling normally cleans better than that ;D

doktornotor

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 06:50:22 PM »
as I mentioned a bit earlier in another thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58453.msg492469#msg492469 I won't advie anymore to use the avast cleaning utility. I used it for the first time yesterday (after a failed setup of the Firewall)... all avast files in program data (config files, logs etc...) were left behind after a reboot. Uninstalling normally cleans better than that ;D

Also quite a bunch of registry stuff is left behind. Well anyway, any chance of getting an improved removal tool for people who have their install corrupted to the point they can't use normal uninstall?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
which is the cleaning utility you mean? - aswclear5
I have simply been using the uninstall that comes as part of the install package
- first uninstalls existing, then Restarts, then installs the package

unfortunately this does not make me the ideal person to advise when it comes to unstable installs
- as I realise some users are having less than ideal install experiences
- particularly when it comes to 64bit machines and less common system setups or configs

I make sure to keep this in mind from now on

sorry - x-posted

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Hermite15

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »
which is the cleaning utility you mean? - aswclear5

yes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
Lets not lose sight of what the aswclear5 tool is for, if you can't uninstall using the regular add remove programs uninstall utility.

I don't believe it should be used in isolation and when used it should be run from safe mode. To that end I only recommend it as part of a clean reinstall/installation after first having uninstalled whatever version it is that you have.

So the new collated aswclear5.exe is no different in that regard as using the old aswclear.exe, not used in isolation.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 08:28:03 PM »
oh OK then, thought it was a cleaner , and you're saying it's an emergency uninstaller...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 08:58:11 PM »
That is what my belief of its purpose is, if the add remove programs isn't working, but it should still clean out remnants or a failed uninstall. But I don't believe it (the Uninstall Utility) was ever designed as a replacement for add remove programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

meigyoku

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2010, 02:46:09 AM »
avast 5 removal tool database is few (Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is 9MB size), so if your system files are infected virus, avast removal tool can not disinfect virus. You should not install Avast antivirus if your system files are infected virus.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:29 AM »
avast 5 removal tool is for support yr removal of avast! antivirus. This is what is being discussed here.

For most people, if they have an infection on their computer, can be because they didn't have avast loaded in the first place.

Ex_Brit

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »
Your first post lists aswclear.exe yet Avast's website lists aswclear5.exe

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

spg SCOTT

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »
Correct.

The OP will need to update the post... ::)

I also mentioned the update a while ago...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54385.msg466101#msg466101

-Scott-

Ex_Brit

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2010, 01:58:54 AM »
Thanks, thought as much.  I guess I missed that post.

kokonis

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »
Why avast cant make a removal avast tool , to remove completely the avast antivirus 5 ?Is it so complicated ??
I am in a move to go to another antivirus because some times avast found some wrong viruses .So how you can guarantee me that no traces left from avast ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 03:07:15 AM »
Why avast cant make a removal avast tool , to remove completely the avast antivirus 5 ?Is it so complicated ??
I am in a move to go to another antivirus because some times avast found some wrong viruses .So how you can guarantee me that no traces left from avast ?
Uninstall through Control Panel.
Boot.
Use the avast uninstall tool.
Boot.

But, why would you remove avast just because false positives?
The best things in life are free.