Author Topic: Avast web shield + Ad Muncher  (Read 9427 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Avast web shield + Ad Muncher
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »
Can't help you, sorry
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Wex

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »
You said you didn't want avast to scan ad muncher traffic.

I said that by default it doesn't.

Yet you say you have added ad muncher to the web shield optin process, thereby having avast scan it.

So I am totally confused, a) by default it shouldn't be scanned as I said, b) yet you go and add it to the process that will scan the traffic.

As I said in my first post ad munched uses a proxy and so does avasts web shield.

If you didn't optin ad muncher, then the web shield has nothing to scan (not that it isn't working) as the ad muncher proxy redirects the traffic to its proxy and the web shield doesn't see anything as there is effectively no port 80 traffic.

When you opit in ad muncher in the webshield.ini (and uncheck the Ignore local communication. avast Settings, Troubleshooting, Redirect Settings), then you force avast to scan that ad muncher traffic, so I hope you can see why I'm confused.

But the problem is you keep saying you 'don't want avast to scan ad muncher traffic' and I don't see any way to do that if you also want the protection of the web shield as the two proxies act differently.

I see you have not ever try admuncher+avast, try and you'll see what i'm talking about.

If I don't add ad muncher avast web ini  avast web shield won't work and i've f***ing tested that by myself.

So tell me is there anyway use ad muncher and web shield together for not adding admuncher in web ini?

Sesame

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
I see you have not ever try admuncher+avast, try and you'll see what i'm talking about.

If I don't add ad muncher avast web ini  avast web shield won't work and i've f***ing tested that by myself.

So tell me is there anyway use ad muncher and web shield together for not adding admuncher in web ini?
Although you may not like me to post in your thread, at least, I may be able to clarify your question.  However, as for the answer, sorry but I don't have it.

A short answer.  Sorry, I cannot help you.

A long answer.  In conclusion, I cannot help you about this but, I think I began to understand your question.

I tested on Eicar test file site and, yes, it appears that eicar.com can be saved if I configure Web Shield to look out the traffics of Ad Muncher.  However, please try to execute it.  You see the file is broken.  So, at least Web Shield seems to be doing its job.

That said, you'd like Web Shield to totally block the file in the first place.  So, you probably thought that, if you can let Web Shield look out for the traffic of your browsers, instead of Ad Muncher, it may be able to prevent the file from being downloaded.  Personally, I don't think so since Ad Muncher is nearer to the web site since it tries to check the site for ads before your browsers.  Since Web Shield is checking its traffics, it is quicker than both Ad Muncher and your web browser.

Then, you may ask.  Well, you'd like to do it in any way.  Unfortunately, there is a technical problem.  As I monitor it, Ad Muncher seems to occupy various ports as a local proxy and it is almost impossible to make Web Shield to watch out for the traffic between your browsers and Ad Muncher.  So, sorry, I don't have an idea to realize what you seem to want to do.  The bright side of this issue is that eicar.com is just an empty file.  If you don't believe it, please check the property of it, you will see it has got 0 byte(!) .

miscreant

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »
You said you didn't want avast to scan ad muncher traffic.

I said that by default it doesn't.

Yet you say you have added ad muncher to the web shield optin process, thereby having avast scan it.

So I am totally confused, a) by default it shouldn't be scanned as I said, b) yet you go and add it to the process that will scan the traffic.

As I said in my first post ad munched uses a proxy and so does avasts web shield.

If you didn't optin ad muncher, then the web shield has nothing to scan (not that it isn't working) as the ad muncher proxy redirects the traffic to its proxy and the web shield doesn't see anything as there is effectively no port 80 traffic.

When you opit in ad muncher in the webshield.ini (and uncheck the Ignore local communication. avast Settings, Troubleshooting, Redirect Settings), then you force avast to scan that ad muncher traffic, so I hope you can see why I'm confused.

But the problem is you keep saying you 'don't want avast to scan ad muncher traffic' and I don't see any way to do that if you also want the protection of the web shield as the two proxies act differently.

If I don't add ad muncher avast web ini  avast web shield won't work and i've f***ing tested that by myself.

Admuncher ,firefox and avast can only work this way ,and although the save box still shows ,as rumpel said the file is zero bytes and has been neutralized.This seems to be a firefox problem as internet explorer behaves as expected and doesnt  behave like firefox
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:57:47 PM by miscreant »