Author Topic: Avast 5 - dissapointment  (Read 16753 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Avast 5 - dissapointment
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »
could be...but I don't think so, a big majority of people as you can imagine don't use HIPS, and haven't even heard of that. What I think is that by nature, the behavior shield reacts, very differently on systems, even with the same OS.

Yeah, I agree. Plus add to that that many system run thousands of different apps, some of which may well be of doubtfull sources. Or an infection (or left overs) that didn't bother 4.8 and is now causing trouble on v5.

I believe that most of the problems lie in the particular users setup (and sometimes better: mess up  8) ). It is absolutely obvious that a software like av-software can not be programmed to fit to every particular machine from scratch.

There are 100 million users for avast - and some thousands are crying out, millions and millions are just happy, content users.

Of course it's completely understandable that each and every single user is disappointed if things don't run smooth from the start. But a little patience is neede, that's all.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

YoKenny

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 12:22:33 AM »
@ Zyndstoff

Re
Of course it's completely understandable that each and every single user is disappointed if things don't run smooth from the start. But a little patience is neede, that's all.

Remember:
 You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time
Abraham Lincoln
Into each life a little rain must fall
Longfellow

Frente

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 02:18:23 AM »
Dear Forum User,
When I approached AVAST site and I had heard it was good I did not anticipate having to deal with a Frozen machine since AVAST did not inspect my machine before I ran the install of AVAST.

The AVAST Panel for selection of types of protection will not work. It is slow in response. I bought AVAST because the machine at home has Lsass.exe on it and I wanted to clean the registry of a bad Trojan.
1. Avast did not remove any errors because the FIX button does not work
2. The machine installed AVAST but did not check for interferring programs hangs the machine
3. Hardware boot is now necessary
4. Your program may not be worth the money I guess I'll go back to different AVAST mistake. What a malaise which I hate but it never froze my operating system. Why doesn't AVAST check for old software and eliminate it or give me the chance to eliminate it when I buy a product from your group?
5. I have a recovery detail in mind but I wish I would have joined this group before I paid you
6. SHAME is AVAST middle name it seems or check that it is their first name

sded

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 02:27:28 AM »
What security software were you using before?  Did you remove it completely, including whatever cleaner is provided (by companies like Symantec, McAfee) or using something like Revo installer?  Avast! doesn't interfere with software from other vendors you might have, they don't always know what it is you are trying to achieve, and your choice of other software is purely your decision.  Not uninstalling other AVs, for example, can cause problems for the installation of any replacement.  Avast! just doesn't take over the management of your machine; that isn't their job.  But if you describe here what you have and what you did, there are willing knowledgeable people who can try to help you get things working.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:36:22 AM by sded »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 02:33:46 AM »
could be...but I don't think so, a big majority of people as you can imagine don't use HIPS, and haven't even heard of that. What I think is that by nature, the behavior shield reacts, very differently on systems, even with the same OS.

Yeah, I agree. Plus add to that that many system run thousands of different apps, some of which may well be of doubtfull sources. Or an infection (or left overs) that didn't bother 4.8 and is now causing trouble on v5.

I believe that most of the problems lie in the particular users setup (and sometimes better: mess up  8) ). It is absolutely obvious that a software like av-software can not be programmed to fit to every particular machine from scratch.

There are 100 million users for avast - and some thousands are crying out, millions and millions are just happy, content users.

+1

I think perhaps we could differentiate between Windows, Linux and Macs when we speak of the problems some users are having with the new release. For myself, I will only be looking at issues with avast 5 on Windows platform. And my gut feeling - this early in the piece – while mostly there will be no problems, issues can arise in the meshing of avast services with Windows OS and for any number of reasons. As I read and copied down this morning (because so well said) - 'there is a vast amount of variation among the billion-plus Windows PCs in the world, so it's hard to pin down the reasons' (sorry cannot reference the link, but came from a post in this forum). And particularly difficult where there may be damaged or corrupted files involved, Windows Installer springs to mind, a real bugbear when broken and the mess can spill out to impede desktop config in general (from what I gather), as well as meshing of web services in general (ditto). Some users are going to have to tweak their desktop and/or their browser before they will have avast 5 smooth running.

Edit - Black Viper always helpful when it comes to tweaking computer - http://www.blackviper.com/

Edit - and work in with your updates of course - avast and Windows
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:38:07 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

coolsilver

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 06:41:24 AM »
I had my troubles with the Beta... I flip flopped quite a bit between versions.

Regardless of the issues I had with 5, when I switched back to 4.8 it was stable it was everything it was before I messed with 5.

Some time passed and the issues were fixed. I go back to 5. Whatever frustrations I had were just that... frustration. I can say that once I was back on 4.8 I realized Alwil is a very good company. They have great people and despite all the hateful words they press on and end up with a quality product.

Really people have issues whenever they jump on the bleeding edge bandwagon. Windows has long had this with all versions. I'm not saying Alwil was pushing a product out. But they must have felt that there was sufficient number of people using the beta to release it. If only 2% of the people with problems are rare issues like they have been as of late... then they are harder to track down. As you can see they have another build that might have solved 80% of those 2% who had severe issues.

Quality is a process not a destination. They do put quality work together as they can make changes and make major fixes quickly as well as supporting many other products including older versions. If you have spiteful words or want to go to another product that is fine. I think one jumping else where when the years of using Alwil's Avast Anti-virus... there is no reason to believe they are anything less than they ever have been. Seeing this actually released shows that they still have what it takes to be the best in my eyes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:47:04 AM by coolsilver »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 09:27:09 AM »
Not sure about situation where works in 4.8 and not in 5. I first would have expected same issue to occur in both versions, and problem to have have been desktop or browser. But differences in versions would have to be allowed for as well. It doesn't take much to upset the running.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Hermite15

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 10:30:49 AM »
gotta say I'm really fed up with people associating the word "shame" with Avast  >:( ... these guys have been providing you (us) with a fantastic free AV  for years now, the new version might have some issues on some systems but it's still better, much better than the previous version, and the previous version was already really good; those guys, the devs, do not behave like others do on other support forum, ie they don't claim to produce the best security software in the world, they humble and they help and they from what I've seen they seem to work hard on improving things daily, daily, and not just when some of you shameless posters come around here to report a bsod  ::) I would have liked to see your face back in the nineties, slow internet or no internet at all for many and Windows 95 crashing ten times a day  :D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
I would have liked to see your face back in the nineties, slow internet or no internet at all for many and Windows 95 crashing ten times a day 
yeaa......but they fixet it in win98..........it only crashed once or twice a day ...... ;D

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »
For those interested, check this pre-release which aims to fix most of the issues.

Moreover, if possible, please provide some more info like previous AV, if it a clean install, or anything else. Most problems are simply fixed by a repair or clean install. :)

Note: The pre-release is still a pre-release afterall so please bear in mind that it could still be risky by some point.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:46:40 AM by .: L' arc :. »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Hermite15

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 10:45:13 AM »
I would have liked to see your face back in the nineties, slow internet or no internet at all for many and Windows 95 crashing ten times a day 
yeaa......but they fixet it in win98..........it only crashed once or twice a day ...... ;D

LOL  ;D

glennthera

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »
Howdy folks! Well, I've been an Avast user n big fan of long! However, I must admit that Version 5 hasn't quite lived upto our expectations as yet! Yea, it is much slower than v4.8 and also some of the features n interface r quite new! The general consensus would be that with every new version of any software, we expect the overall user experience to be much better than previous versions! That is yet to happen with Avast 5! I installed Avast 5 for a day and my PC took more than 20 mins to boot up! After i switched back to Version 4.8, it booted in jst over 2 mins! My PC ain't no slouch, it's an Intel Core i7 machine with 8 gb DDR3 memory n more than 400 gb free space! So, there're many areas which the developer team needs to address! Also, the previous blue icon looked much more elegant than the new orange!

Hermite15

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
I installed Avast 5 for a day and my PC took more than 20 mins to boot up!

and you've been waiting until the login screen appeared ?  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »
@ glennthera
Well my system by comparison to yours is a slouch and my boot times are essentially the same (I tend not to use a stopwatch) for me. avast5 is streets ahead/better than 4.8, so what is going on in your system certainly isn't the norm.

You don't say what version of 5.0 you had, 5.0.418 being the latest or how you updated to avast 5.0 or what OS (with your system I suspect win7) ?

Yes, there are new and changed features, that is the point in trying to improve overall protection and yes, the interface is new, but it is far more user friendly/intuitive than 4.8. Did you not find win7 different (if that is the OS you are using) but you persevered and got used to it.

We would have loved to have tried to help resolve your problem had you given us a chance, but going back to 4.8 won't achieve anything really.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2010, 05:12:28 PM »
Howdy folks! Well, I've been an Avast user n big fan of long!

<snip>

Also, the previous blue icon looked much more elegant than the new orange!

Amen!