Author Topic: Avast 5 Confusion  (Read 2657 times)

Jima

Avast 5 Confusion
« on: January 28, 2010, 02:18:12 AM »
I am really surprised that there is so much confusion and upset about the new Avast version.  It is very un "avast!-like"
I did get a green box with "a new version is available."  It looked just like the "update" box.
I would like to wait awhile, both for the confusion to die down and to pick my time to take the dive (on 32 kpbs modem).
It has been said, "just don't take it" 
How to do that?
Thanks

sded

Re: Avast 5 Confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:35:15 AM »
Easy way is to go to summary/settings/updates and select "manual updates" if you don't want to be bothered.  You can also tell Avast! you are on dialup, and I think that also cuts down the information, but I don't have dialup.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 5 Confusion
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:47:28 AM »
Unless it's been fixed in the most recent updates (I've still got 377), "dialup only" seems to disable auto-updating regardless of your connection type on many systems.  That's in the free version, anyway, not sure about the Pro/paid version.

If you still want auto-updates (which I assume you do) for defs only, go back to the default settings, auto for the defs and notify-only for the program.  If you see a program notification and don't want to download/install yet, just close that box and nothing will happen ... I haven't gotten one of those yet, so don't know if it disappears after a bit if you just ignore it, like it did in 4.8 and earlier.

For connection type, your best bet (this worked for most of us unable to get updates, assuming the firewall wasn't to blame) is to uncheck both boxes in the connection-type section, and let avast determine for itself your connection.

As a side note -- if, from your description, the "program update is available" notification is that similar to the "defs updated" one, maybe Alwil should consider going back to using distinctive colors for those two.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:49:57 AM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent