Author Topic: Exclusion Truncation  (Read 5444 times)

av-outsource

Exclusion Truncation
« on: June 23, 2004, 06:11:06 PM »
I have been configuring exclusions for our Avast SBS server product
(v4.1.154) - Enhanced interface, properties of the "Resident Protection" task, Standard Shield, Advanced tab - and have noticed that there is a limited amount of space for the exclusion list. If you put too much in here, then next time you look at it, the list is truncated. I can see the full list is in the Avast.ini file however this means I have to edit this file manually now to change the exclusions, otherwise I have to enter the missing information each time in the GUI.

Do you know if this will be fixed in an upcoming update ? I assume the full list of exclusions is being processed correctly...

av-outsource

Re:Exclusion Truncation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 06:20:50 PM »
I can't get it to take right now, the change to the ini file isn't reflected in the GUI and I don't know how to force it (stop/restart the agent ?) - I also can't tell if folder names with spaces need quotes around them

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Exclusion Truncation
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 06:38:22 PM »
1. Your right there's a 255-char limit for those properties (like exclusions etc.) -- that's a limitation of the underlying technology (MS Jet)... :-\

2. No quotation marks are required.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Gaby

Re: Exclusion Truncation
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 12:50:40 PM »
Hi everybody! I know this thread is almost one year old. I came across this and other threads on Exclusions for the Standard Shield directly from the search, cause I was too lazy to foster the forum index ;D. From all threads retrieved, this one gave me the most satisfying answers. However I still need to clear up some questions :-X.

Beforehand, I have to tell you that I also feel disappointed when I type exclusions to the Standard Shield, and then I check they're gone or become truncated.

1. Your right there's a 255-char limit for those properties (like exclusions etc.) -- that's a limitation of the underlying technology (MS Jet)... :-\

Fine. But could I verify if the feature works, at least, in spite of its virtual malfunction? Seems like that, based on the experience of av-outsource:

... If you put too much in here, then next time you look at it, the list is truncated. I can see the full list is in the Avast.ini file...

Should be possible. I looked after that file, actually avast4.ini on my PC (Correct me if wrong). But I didn't find any entry resembling my inputs - not the defaults either (like pagefile, etc).

... this means I have to edit this file manually now to change the exclusions...

Such a configuration would be a workaround, however I couln't check it out.

..., otherwise I have to enter the missing information each time in the GUI... I assume the full list of exclusions is being processed correctly...

So, my first question is: Can I rely on this? What then with every new input - how to place it - Would it not delete a previous exclusion for another file/folder?

Secondly, what about the *.ini configuration av-outsource talked about? I have the last version of avast, but seems like the ini file was renamed or were talking of different suits.

For me, there is no doubt about the efficiency of avast, after my dad tried several other AVs and told me I was right with my choice for home. But concerning performance, these tweaks should work better, and if not, there should be a workaround... don't u think?

Well, probly Im missing the answers to my questions if they are already post anywhere else on the forum. Anyway I thank you folks if u can tell me or give me a clue. 8)