Author Topic: Strange email settings  (Read 1991 times)

olddog

Strange email settings
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:22 AM »
After installation of V5, I was experiencing significant delays between Outlook Express "connecting" and emails being downloaded, about 50% of the time long enough to time out and bring up a failure message.

I checked the settings in the mail shield (which I had not touched or even looked at since the V5 program was installed) and found 4 entries in the SSL accounts, 2 for SMPT on port 25 with no encryption, and 2 for POP 3, Port 995 with SSL encryption, all with same IP.

My Outlook Express is set to Incoming POP 3, Port 110, no encryption and Outgoing SMPT Port 23 no encryption. Removing all of these entries and letting it automatically detect them resulted in a repeat of the 2 POP 3 entries above but only 1 of the SMPT.

I used Control Panel add/remove to "Change" the program and removed the Mail shield. After rebooting the email upload/download appeared to be back to more normal operation.

I then used Control Panel add/remove to "Change" the program and reinstall the Mail shield. So far I have not experienced a time out, however there is a significant delay on the download of emails that does not exist on another (slower) computer using the same router and internet connection, accessing the same email account, also using XP-Home, but running Avast 4.8.

What I find strange is that when I look at the SSL settings in the V5 Mail shield, it has automatically set them up as 2 off Pop 3, on Port 110, no encryption, and 1 off SMPT on Port 25, no encryption.

Where did the entries for port 995 come from?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Strange email settings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »
Hello,
the mail scanner prefers secure connections, so if the server supports SSL/TLS it will be used. You can override it at the SSL accounts settings page.

You can enable debug logging at Settings/Maintenance and then see in the log file where is the delay.
(C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Mail.log)

olddog

Re: Strange email settings
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
vojtech,

Thank you, after experimenting with SSL settings I now understand where the 995 port reference originates.

The delay referred to in my post completely disappeared after a full PC power down some time after my previous post and a subsequent restart (with the non SSL port 110 setting), however I will use the debug suggestion you made if the problem re-appears.