Author Topic: Vault locks and it won't allow me to highlight, choose to restore! Please help!  (Read 5319 times)

Foxlake

I have files stuck in there, with Avast saying it's a "high" threat.  I want them out because they are false positives, but I am not able to even highlight them, much less chose a different execution for these files.

Can somebody help?  I'm really desperate.  I have tried everything.  I'm afraid to download new version because it may uninstall and the files will disappear.

Please help!

Thanks.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
First, what version of avast are you using? And what exactly do you mean by "I can't even highlight them" - like the list doesn't have a selection bar? ???

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Foxlake

I'm sorry.  I didn't give basic information.  I'm using the Avast Free, the latest version.  I just started using it in the last few days.  Avast put the files in the chest for high risk.  When I tried to click on the inverted triangle at the top to change the action, I just get a straight horizontal line.  I cannot click it.  I also cannot highlight any of the lines to select the file to take any action.  The apply button down below is gray and unclickable.

Maybe I'm not getting what to do here.   ???  Or is this a problem that is being looked at?

Thanks.    :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I don't get what you mean "when you click on the inverted triangle" I don't see that in avast 5.0.377. If you open the chest and right click on the file you want to restore you get a drop down list, select Restore, see image. Once selected you should get a second confirm action you want window see image2.

Is this the interface image1 that you see ?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:56:31 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Foxlake

My Avast looks just like that.  I appreciate the screenshot.  :)

Actually, in your picture, the lines that you selected to right click are highlighted and you did get a drop down menu.  My log file is dead to any clicking on the files listed.  I can't select anything.  If I right click I get nothing.  (The arrow I refered to is on the task bar at the top.  I think I misunderstood its function.  When I click it, it does move the order of the files around.  I thought maybe it would be there to change the action.)

Am I just completely lame or is there some kind of glitch with the install? 

My next question is:  Is this a false positive?  C:\Program Files\Real\Realarcade\googleinstapp.exe?  I have a lot of RA games on my system, and I know there were some false positive issues in the last couple of years regarding RA.  That and a file in my restore system are the two listed as evil.  I am able to play my games, although I haven't tried all of them.

Thank you for the replies and the patience.

Foxlake

Okay, I am really lame.  I was having trouble finding the right place to be.  I finally found the chest where I can access the file.   ::) So user issues involved here.  Thanks for trying to help understand my cluelessness.

I'm still wondering if this is a FP because when I click on properties, the Real Arcade file is showing its last modification as 04/08.  Same with the Restore file.  This is odd because I just reset Restore in the last few days.

I guess I'll try to search the Web to see if I can find out anything about this.

Thanks again.  I appreciate the help.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Whilst it is possible it could be an FP if it can be guaranteed it hasn't been changed, but new and updates signatures are added and as such may pick up something not previously detected (especially if it is a dormant file).

No matter what if avast considers it infected it will let you Restore it and will promptly alert when it lands in the original location and guess where it will end up, yes right back in the chest.

So it has to be investigated:
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

- avast5 - Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the File System Shield scanning any file you put in that folder.  Now enter the chest again and Extract the file to the Suspect folder and upload it to VT.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:30:30 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Foxlake

Thanks, David.  I did as you suggested.  Here is the link:  http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/c806dd8c79f871bcf1fa414c93771d140edb7c4a63e755c0ce62dd1a4c338303-1264617117

It looks like a couple of other AVs don't like this file either.  I'm not sure what that means, though.  Heck, I'm not even sure if I need this file.   :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
One of the others GData also uses avast a one of it two scanners (so count as one).

The other detection is potentially unwanted program Artemis!EDADC91E1483, but is using heuristic method of detection so is more prone to misdetection.

So there is a good chance it is an FP so the file should be sent to avast for analysis (Submit to virus lab, in my image above) as a false positive.  Periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest. When it is no longer detected then you can Restore it from the chest.

Foxlake

I sent it in earlier as "potential malware" and I just now sent it in as "false positive."  If they don't hate me for sending it twice under two different categories and totally confusing the issue  :-[, maybe they'll have a look at it.  :) 

Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

I think they will twig, as in sending in a file that is currently detected as potentially malware might get them thinking you selected the wrong option ;D