Author Topic: Help 85 year old mother stuck half way over the fence!  (Read 1912 times)

nedyr

Help 85 year old mother stuck half way over the fence!
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »
Anyone tell me an easy way of getting my 85 year old mother sorted out over the phone after a failed Avast 5 update?

She allowed avast to update from 4.8 to 5 at the weekend and got stuck in the installation after refusing Google Chrome - "next" would not work and she cancelled.  Now basically has no Avast 5 but not enough of Avast 4 to either run or uninstall either of them.  I have spent over an hour on the phone tonight trying to sort her out - we live some considerable distance apart.  Nothing has worked.  No avast in remove programs to uninstall.  Using the tool from the forum does not work unless you turn off protection (how as avast 4 is not there anymore!) or start in Safe Mode - try explaining that to an 85 year old a hundred miles away!  In desperation we tried system restore - note that the update when not downloaded separately does not create a system restore point!  Took machine back to an earlier point.  Got blue Avast 4 back but with no providers running and seemingly no way of starting them.  Trying to run update from that point now produces errors - what a mess.

Help anyone?

What a complete cock up!  If I can get avast off I will never think of using it or recommending it to others again.  It is a shame that the programmers cannot think of the kind of people who may actually have to use their software, e.g. aged, disabled, etc. and make sure it works before they send it out.

John

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
Re: Help 85 year old mother stuck half way over the fence!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »
Go here and follow the directions and see if that helps.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!