Author Topic: 5.0 won't load allow internet access without turning off webshield  (Read 16389 times)

posturedoc

I loaded 5.0 yesterday and immediately got a page load error whenever I attempted to access the internet using both Firefox and IE. The message states that "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." I have to completely turn off the Web Shield (under the REAL-TIME SHIELDS tab) to access the internet. I unchecked the 'Scan web (http) traffic' box to no avail and changed a few settings within the "Expert settings" tab including the sensitivity setting and changing all the settings in the Action are from 'abort' to 'ask' but nothing allows me internet access except completely turning off the Web Shield.

Anybody have any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:22:28 AM by posturedoc »

sammi 1820

Re: 5.0 won't load allow internet access without turinng off webshield
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:48:48 PM »
Hi,
I was having the same problem at the very beginning of the new install,but eventually got it sorted out.
Are you using ZA firewall by any chance?....WinXP ?
Can you re enable your Web shield module,and disable your Firewall,if you have one,momentarily,and then try to get to the net..If that works,then restart your FW,remove all programs that are Avast related and reboot your computer.
Hope that helps

posturedoc

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:00:21 PM »
Sammi,

Thanks for the response. I'm using the WinXP firewall. I followed your suggestions and turned it off before turning the Avast Web Shield on again, but still couldn't load a webpage...same error message as before. Any other suggestions?

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
Did you try 5.0.394 ?

sammi 1820

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
posturedoc,

I don,t use IE,just FFx.
Try deleting all your cache in FFx,and try again....Tools,Clear recent History.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:49:03 PM by sammi 1820 »

posturedoc

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:05:14 PM »
Well, I just updated to .394 and cleared all my FF cache (I don't use IE either, Sammie, but I tried it when FF wouldn't load just to see if it was a FF incompatibility issue) and nothing has changed :( 

Please keep the suggestions coming. Something's got to give.

sded

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:19:31 PM »
Does anything show up in your Web Shield Reports file if you check all the boxes under expert settings?  Can you access https files with Web Shield on?  Are you using any other security (or other) software that might contain a proxy?

sammi 1820

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:20:07 AM »
posturedoc,
I,m not familiar with the Win XP firewall,but it must have "programs" that are listed in it that are allowed to access the net....
What are the allowed Avast programs that are showing up in your firewall settings??

posturedoc

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 01:03:39 AM »
sded: There are no reports when the Web Shield is on and all the other Expert Settings functions are turned and set to their normal functioning levels. As for accessing http files, I'm assuming one has to be logged onto the internet in order to do so (I'm not too savvy to most computer technical jargon, so please bear with me). If this is the case, I can't access any.

If I turn off the Web Shield and log on to the net, I can load a page just like normal, but if I turn the Web Shield bac on and try to navigate from the page I'm already on, including simply refreshing the page, I get the same page loading problem I get when I try to log on from scratch.

I'm using the Windows firewall (I've already turned it off and tried to load with the Web Shield on, to no positive effect), but other than that, I'm not using any other security programs. Symantec's LiveUpdate remains, but it's not running or updating  NortonAV, which I removed when I installed Avast, or any other security programs as far as I can determine. As for proxys, I'm not too sure how they are used. I know I don't have a proxy server I load through. What types of programs might use a proxy that could possibly interfere with the functioning of a security program?

Sammi: I added Avast to the the exceptions list of the Windows Firewall - it doesn't change anything.

sded

Re: 5.0 won't load allow internet access without turning off webshield
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 01:32:47 AM »
If you have had Norton onboard, the first thing to do is to download and run their Norton Removal Tool from http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 .  Norton leaves behind a residual that often prevents other programs from replacing them without this extra effort.  And even Norton products that aren't running can interfere with others.  Then uninstall Avast! from safe mode and reinstall Avast! 5 version 394 normally.  Then let us know what you see and we can proceed from there,  :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:38:43 AM by sded »

naturalforce76

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 04:20:52 AM »
Posturedoc...

It seems I'm having the same problem as you. I had posted a thread earlier about it. Although the suggestions posted there have yet to solve my issue, I thought maybe you might find something there you could try.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54479.0

Although I hate you are  having the same problem, it's somewhat comforting to know someone else is experiencing this issue.

92 squadron

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »
I too am having the same problem. I have installed AVAST in safe mode and was told to uninstall and install in ordinary mode. I could not uninstall in ordinary mode as it would not let me with a notice saying " Not enough user rights to continue" So had to uninstall in safe mode.
When I attempted to install in ordinary mode I got the same message. so have reinstalled in SAFE MODE again and I am back where I started from. The icon next to the clock starts to revolve when I click onto the internet then stops and doesn't allow access.
Is AVAST going to answer these questions? or maybe a moderator should be able to find the answer. It does appear that we all have the same problem.
                                                           HELP

sded

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:38 PM »
Same questions.  What OS are you using?  What other security software is present, even if disabled?  What was your previous security software and how did you remove it? 

92 squadron

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »
O.S.?
Comodo antivirus is the only one that I have showing up on the add remove window.
As my PC was given to me I have no idea what Anti Virus measures were installed.
I am running Windows XP if that helps
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:36:48 PM by 92 squadron »

sded

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »
If you have Comodo antivirus active, you will need to remove it to install another antivirus product like Avast!  AVs are notorious for interfering with each other and causing serious problems for users.  Even deactivating is usually not sufficient.  General procedure is :
1. Uninstall Comodo Antivirus
2. Uninstall Avast! 5 using the uninstall procedure at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54385.0 (could be corrupted by Comodo) and reboot
3. Reinstall Avast! 5, reboot,  and let us know the results
AVs often install competing proxies and low level drivers that can interfere with each other.  And leave behind registry entries when you remove them that cause problems.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:17:44 PM by sded »