Author Topic: [5.0.394] Computer freezes at end of install [fixed in 5.0.396]  (Read 15798 times)

PhilR

[5.0.394] Computer freezes at end of install [fixed in 5.0.396]
« on: January 27, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Same as before.

System hangs at end of install.  Can move mouse, drag the installer window (but it leaves trails).  ctrl-alt-del brings up expected dialogue box, but task manager won't start.  Alternatively, a shutdown and reboot (instead of task manager) hangs.  Hard reset only way out.  Been like this for me since build 5.0.314 or the previous beta, if I recall correctly.  No other AV, uninstalled, rebooted, new Avast removal utility run, rebooted, and then installed, so all was clean.

Freeze makes screenshot impossible...

I can run process explorer during install, but really don't know what I should be looking for.

Getting a bit tired of reporting this over and over with no resolution, to be honest.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:31:38 AM by PhilR »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: [5.0.394] Computer freezes at end of install
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:58 PM »
Would you be able to create and upload the full memory dump at the moment the machine is frozen?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

PhilR

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
I'll try, but can't guarantee anything.  I have a very slow DSL link here, it could take forever to upload.

Here goes...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:03:02 PM »
How slow is slow? If it's really slow it's probably pointless to even try...
How much RAM does the system have?

The dump file is of the size of RAM. But it usually compresses very well, often 5x or even more.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

enddays

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »
Decided to try build 5.0.394, hoping that all of the problems have been finally resolved. Install worked great and I ran a quick scan with no problems. Then decided to reboot and see what happened and got message : "  connection was reset - unable to connect to the internet "  Tried another 2 reboots, with the same message  :(  Come on guys, these problems are not acceptable at this late stage of development) Again, I had to uninstal Avast 5 free, reboot and reactivate Eset to get full protection again. Sad !!

sded

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:21:29 PM »
Do you still have Eset installed but deactivated?  Often a source of problems because of conflict of low level (kernel) drivers used by both if you don't completely uninstall.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »
Decided to try build 5.0.394, hoping that all of the problems have been finally resolved. Install worked great and I ran a quick scan with no problems. Then decided to reboot and see what happened and got message : "  connection was reset - unable to connect to the internet "  Tried another 2 reboots, with the same message  

You mean you couldn't connect to the Internet via web browser, or avast couldn't connect to the Internet to download updates?
Which program was displaying the messages?

enddays

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
Could not connect with Firefox Vlk  :(

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »
endday you dont respond to sded also. Does Eset was only desactivated or uninstalled ?

enddays

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:42:45 PM »
Do you still have Eset installed but deactivated?  Often a source of problems because of conflict of low level (kernel) drivers used by both if you don't completely uninstall.

Yes, Eset Smart Security still installed but not allowed to load on startup thanks to Tuneup Utilities 2010. I am VERY reluctant to uninstall Eset as it works great in the background. But having said that, I REALLY like Avast 5 free and want to use this prog when ALL OF THE PROBLEMS ARE FINALLY SORTED, hint hint  ;)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
Desactivated is not enought !!!! More than 1 anti virus they can conflict each other even if disabled or in silent mode.... I tried in the past Kaspersky and Eset and they both got interfert and the pc did freeze...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »
Well it depends... Connectivity problems are generally a bit hard to debug though. I'd start with disabling WebShield in avast. If that helps, it may be someone/something blocking the AvastSvc.exe process (which hosts the WebShield proxy) from accessing the Internet...

BTW let's not turn this thread off-topic. The OP still has the issue and the thread should be dedicated to solving it. Any other issues should be discussed in separate threads.

Thanks
Vlk

sded

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »
Tuneup utilities does not affect a lot of the low level kernel routines loaded at startup.  Generally unless you uninstall one security package before you install another you can expect problems, although there are many exceptions.  As you can read on many forums (including this one), other security systems (like Norton, McAfee, maybe Eset) are famous for continuing to cause problems with new installations even after you uninstall, unless you remove them with a special "cleaner" program.  Just a warning that you may well be the source of your own problems.  If you can't bring yourself to uninstall Eset, can you use something like Free Macrium Reflect http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp to image the system you are happy with, then uninstall Eset and reboot and try again with Avast?  You can always restore the image if that doesn't help the problem.  BTW, can a moderator split these threads up for us?

PhilR

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
How slow is slow? If it's really slow it's probably pointless to even try...
How much RAM does the system have?

The dump file is of the size of RAM. But it usually compresses very well, often 5x or even more.

HangAtEndOfInstall.zip is on its way to you.  It's only 563,219,504 bytes (2GB RAM in my PC).  Upload will have finished in around 6 hours time :-(

I'll leave it uploading and hope that my ISP doesn't have any glitches :-)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 12:15:47 AM »
PhilR, thanks. Hopefully it will upload fine.