Author Topic: My Avast 5.0 Quick Tips and Help Guide! (May Want to Pin This!)  (Read 4216 times)

Jack 1000

My Avast 5.0 Quick Tips and Help Guide! (May Want to Pin This!)
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:32:17 AM »
Following a successful uninstall and reinstall of 5.0, I am no longer getting the freezing on XP!  I did not have to go into Safe Mode or anything.  This means that I will probably just by-pass the new update build coming out.  It also means everyone, DON'T just install 5.0 over 4.8!  

Before Installing The New Avast 5.0, USERS MUST REMOVE ANY COMPETITIVE AV PRODUCTS FROM THEIR SYSTEMS THROUGH ADD-REMOVE PROGRAMS. This includes EVERYTHING related to another AV software.  Norton, (a.k.a Symantic), AVG,  McAfee, Panda.  You may even want to get the companies uninstall utility and follow the prompts for removal.  But at the very least, get everything out of Add/Remove Programs.

Avast 4.8 should also be removed from Add/Remove Programs for best results.  The full uninstaller of 4.8 may help too, even though for my computer (running Windoes XP) it got stuck when I tried to use it.

ALSO.

RUN WINDOWS UPDATE before installing Avast 5.0 to make sure you have the latest security patches and drivers for your OS.
 This may take a long time, but you want to make sure that your system is up-to-date in other areas that may conflict with Avast's 5.0 usage if it is not.

When these things are done, you can now prepare to install 5.0.

1.) Close all Windows.

2.) Wait 30 Seconds.

3.) If you have Avast 4.8, disable Avast 4.8 in the System Tray Menu.  If not, go to Step 10.

4.) Answer "Yes" to the Confirmation.

5.) Wait a few seconds for 4.8 to shutdown.

6.) Go to Add/Remove Programs.

7.) Uninstall Avast 4.8.

8.) Say yes to Confirm.

9.) Reboot after uninstall.

10) Get a fresh download of Avast 5.0 from Avast's website.  www.avast.com

11) Save to DeskTop or Downloads Folder.

12.) Close all Windows, Wait Several Seconds.

13.) Click on Avast 5.0 install icon and follow the prompts.

14.) Reboot again if prompted.

15.) After about 1-2 minutes or less, AV definitions will be updated. (if you have a current on line-connection.)

16.)  Connect to Internet if not connected.

17.)  Open Avast on Desktop.

18.) Click on Maintenance.

19.) Click on Registration, fill Out Registration Form For License Key.

20.) Click Submit.

21.) You are done!

Recommended Things to Do:

1.) Under Updates-Keep "I only connect to the Internet using a Dial Up Modem"  Unchecked. On some OS, this has been known to stop automatic updates.  BUT-

2.) If you are always connected to the Internet through DSL or a Cable/LAN Network you SHOULD check, "My computer is always connected to the Internet."

3.) Under Settings/Basic, UNCHECK "Use special graphics interface" (not needed)

4.) UNCHECK the "Show Special Scans" prompt, (not needed.)

Hope this helps!

Jack

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:17:04 AM by Jack 1000 »

2nd base

Re: My Avast 5.0 Quick Tips and Help Guide! (May Want to Pin This!)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:15:15 AM »
I did the exact opposite also on a Windows Xp SP3 machine. In a single browsing session I simply disabled all protection while running Avast 4.8 then ran the Version 5 Setup as soon as it downloaded right over top of the existing version. When that was complete, I restarted the system.

Upon the reboot, the first thing I did was run CCleaner and scanned my registry for inconsistencies via the the option to do so within the same program. There were inconsistencies reported.Then I rebooted again.

Everything has really been running just fine except for the fact that audio and scrolling stuttered consistently with a minor decrease in browsing speed.

I disabled the behavior sheild and then re-enabled it and all is back to normal.

I'm not sure of the repercussion of disabling the behavior shield but as it is now, I'm pleased with the program. As it is now, I have both update functions set to automatic so I will wait for the new release and let the program do it's thing. The program is updating definitions on it's own now without incident so I expect the program update will go as smooth when it is detected.

Go figger......

The program is lightning fast, btw. Opens in less than a second and a full system scan in 30 minutes.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:23:08 AM by 2nd base »

Jack 1000

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Wow!

Yea the program is fast, but not quite that fast in scanning on my XP machine.  It only took about 20 minutes to do a Quick Scan, but it was well over an hour to do a full scan. (But that was the same for me with 4.8)

5.0 feels lighter on memory and resources and boot time is very quick.

Jack
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:00:19 AM by Jack 1000 »

Jack 1000

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
As a general guideline, keep in mind the following about version update builds:

The closer you are to the first number, the more likely something major has been changed.  So in the case of Avast 5.0:

From the current release 5.0.277 to 5.0.394, this update would probably only be important if you are having trouble with installing or using the current 5.0.277 version.

As months go by and that second number changes and we see 5.1, 5.2, etc.  that usually means that there is something important with a new security feature or bug fix and you should most likely update even if you don't have problems.  Avast, I remember from the Help section in 4.8, recommends checking for program updates about every 6 months, say within that 3-6 month range.

And than when that first number changes to a 6, or the first number of any software changes, it's a whole new ballgame with a totally new version and features that may not relate at all to the old version.  Because of such dramatic differences this is why users need to uninstall Avast version 4.8, before going to version 5.0.

I really think under the FAQ that the Avast team SHOULD change the instructions for the install of Avast 5.0 to say uinstall old version of 4.8 and any other anti-virus software.  The version override seems to be where people are having the most problems.

Within three months or less, I think that most of the major problems with Avast 5.0 will be in the past as the newer builds come out.

Jack

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »
Wow!

Yea the program is fast, but not quite that fast in scanning on my XP machine.  It only took about 20 minutes to do a Quick Scan, but it was well over an hour to do a full scan. (But that was the same for me with 4.8)

Jack

heard of the persistence cache ? doesn't sound so. I'd suggest you learn a bit more about the program before you start writing a guide here  ;D ... I'm afraid you won't get a sticky that soon  ;) You can relate your experience, np, but avoid calling that a guide  ::)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:50:54 PM by Logos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
Yea the program is fast, but not quite that fast in scanning on my XP machine.  It only took about 20 minutes to do a Quick Scan, but it was well over an hour to do a full scan. (But that was the same for me with 4.8)

It will get quicker it has some database building to do during initial scans.

-- avast 5 - Scan Transient and Persistent caching to speed scanning.
Use transient caching - if transient caching is used, a file that has been
scanned, and in which no infection was detected, will not be scanned again the
next time it is accessed. However, this is only valid until the next virus
definitions update, as the file may contain an infection that was not previously
detected but which may be detected based on the new virus definitions. Also,
information that the file is clean will only be stored in the computer's
operating (temporary) memory. This means that when the system is restarted the
information will be lost, therefore the file will also be scanned again the next
time it is accessed after a system restart. This box is checked by default; if
you want files to be scanned every time they are accessed. this box should be
unchecked.

Use persistent caching - if persistent caching is used, the information about
the scanned file is stored in the permanent memory. This means it is not lost
after a system restart and it is also not affected by virus definition updates.
Consequently, persistent caching is suitable only for files which are guaranteed
not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by
trusted publishers, or other files covered by the avast! whitelist. This box is
checked by default; if you want all files to be scanned regardless of their
trust status, this box should be unchecked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security