Author Topic: AVAST! is turned off and will not turn back on - HELP  (Read 2770 times)

ecarter

AVAST! is turned off and will not turn back on - HELP
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:26:08 AM »
On my desktop PC, I spotted a red “X” in my AVAST icon located in the lower right hand corner of my monitor. After clicking, it tells me AVAST! is turned off.  In this same window I click the “Turn on now” button and then approve of the publisher.  At this point. I immediately receive an error message "(standard error shield provider not found)". What does this mean?

Not giving up so easily,  I go to the Windows 7 start button on left hand side of the monitor and select the AVAST! program to try to turn on AVAST! from the program. 

The memory and start up test begins.  After a short time, I receive another error message stating  the AAVM sub sytem “detected and RPC error” and this operation cannot complete. 

It also states information about this subject is the FAQ on your home site.   After a pretty through search, I cannot find anything in your FAQ about a RPC error message.

Are the two issues related? And even more important, what needs to be done to turn on AVAST 4.8 on my PC? Avast came highly recommended and I have been a licensed user since Oct 2009 so please tell me what has happened and how to fix it. 

I am very concerned about this situation and will need to replace AVAST! if I cannot re-engage the AVAST! virus protection soon.

Thank you.

CharleyO

Re: AVAST! is turned off and will not turn back on - HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »

Welcome to the forums, ecarter   :)

The "RPC error" usually relates to a previous anti-virus (av) program that is present or was not completely removed.

Please tell us what the previous av was, if it was removed, and how it was removed.

jeffj4873

Re: AVAST! is turned off and will not turn back on - HELP
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:19:05 PM »
Go to windows uninstall and try to repair Avast first. The option is in the uninstall at the bottom