Author Topic: Can't get icon to show up in task bar  (Read 16412 times)

stone2

Can't get icon to show up in task bar
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »
After installing avast 5 the avast icon won't show up in the task bar along with several other programs I usually have running. Check task manager and they are running just not showing up in the task bar.
Anyone else have this issue?

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: Can't get icon to show up in task bar
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
Got the same problem - in my case it's only the avast 5.0 icon that doesn't show up.  In order to see it I need to open the avast 5 application, uncheck "Show Icon in Taskbar" in Settings, and re-check it.  The icon then shows up.  Tried doing the above, then rebooting, but still same problem.  Small annoyance but would like to see some resolution to it.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »
And you have tried avast repair? and rebooting

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
Yup - did a repair and then rebooted.  Same problem - no tray icon in Windows.  Only way I can get it is to open the avast 5 program, open the settings menu, then close the menu.  Icon then shows up.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

stone2

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
Same here, did a repair re-booted still same problem.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
Cheers

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 09:35:14 PM »
This tray icon problem was already fixed (I think in pre-release 394 build), official release will be available within a hour.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
Nope - just updated to 5.0.396, rebooted, and still missing the icon.  Everything else seems to work OK - just no tray icon.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 02:59:51 AM »
Just one more piece of information about the missing tray icon.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice (latest version 5.0396) (plus using awsclear.exe in safe mode) and still cannot get the tray icon to show up.  The ONLY way I can get the icon to show up is to open the avast 5 main program window, then open the Settings window, make sure that the check-boxes to show the icon in the tray are checked (they already were), then click the "OK" button in the Settings window.  The icon immediately shows up when the Settings window closes.  It is as if the avast program is not reading the saved appearance settings on start-up.  Happens with both the avast free version and the Internet Security trial version.

I know that most people are not having this problem and I apologize in advance to the forum but this is the only problem I'm having with version 5.  Other than this everything is working fine.  I know that the problem is somewhere in my system - any ideas or help would be appreciated.  By the way, for what it is worth, I had absolutely no icon problems with the previous version 4 program.

My OS is Windows XP SP3.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 03:06:13 AM by Gandalf1369 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

They could be blocking the startup entry for the UI, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
DavidR,

I have the following security programs on the PC:

1. Spybot S&D - TeaTimer is turned off and always has been
2. Windows Defender - turned off
3. SpywareBlaster
4. SuperAntiSpyware (free edition) - only used as an "on-demand" scanner
5. a-Squared Free - only used as an "on-demand" scanner
6. avast 5.0396

As far as I can see none of the above should interfere with any of the start-up programs.  Even though the avast tray icon is not present at start-up, the avast services are, in fact, running.  I realize that avast 4.8 was a totally different program, but my system was exactly the same when I ran 4.8 and the icon always showed up without problem.

One other piece of information , although I am not sure if it really matters - when I have the "Settings" window open in avast 5.0 I can toggle the appearance of the tray icon on and off by checking and un-checking the appropriate boxes in the "Appearance" section of the Setting window and clicking OK.

Thanks for your help . . . .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
Check the msconfig, setup tab and ensure that there is an entry for the UI.
- Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

How do you open the settings window if you don't have the avast icon in the tray (desktop icon?) ?

If you are able to toggle the appearance of the icon from avast settings, perhaps it is a hidden item in the tray.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:43:02 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 04:39:13 PM »
Dave,

1. Checked msconfig - there is an entry for avastui.exe /nogui
2. Did the repair on avast from the Add/Remove Programs - rebooted - still no icon
3. Not sure what you meant about a sync issue between reported and actual VPS version - I never that that problem!!  :)
4. I open the main avast program window by double-clicking on the desktop icon that avast installed during installation of the program.  From the main window I then open up the Settings window
5. Definitely not a hidden icon - I'm using Windows XP and the little "arrow in a ball" that suignifies further icons that are hidden is not there

I really appreciate your time in helping to figure out what the problem is . . . Although I am beginning to lose hope that I'll ever see the tray icon automatically when Windows starts.  Thanks again . . .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 04:51:19 PM »
3. Don't worry about the sync bit, it is a leftover from my cut and paste, not relevant in this issue, I will edit it in the post.
4. Thought so, just seeking confirmation.

What is your firewall as I have seen some that also block startup entries ?

You could create your own startup shortcut in the startup folder (though not advised yet as we wouldn't be able to find the cause):
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Start Menu\Programs\Startup for C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe /nogui (I believe the switch, /nogui just means don't open the GUI).

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
Currently I am using the avast 5 firewall (using the trial version of avast Internet Security).  Before that when I was using avast 5.0 free I only had the Windows XP firewall.  Never had any other firewalls on this computer.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
a-Squared Free not recommended :)
Detection of too much false positive :)