Author Topic: Can't get icon to show up in task bar  (Read 16407 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't get icon to show up in task bar
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
Currently I am using the avast 5 firewall (using the trial version of avast Internet Security).  Before that when I was using avast 5.0 free I only had the Windows XP firewall.  Never had any other firewalls on this computer.

Well as far as I'm aware the avast 5 firewall doesn't block startup items and certainly not it own I would have thought.

So looks like you may need to create the shortcut in the startup folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »
Thanks Dave - - - I think I'm going to hold off on using the shortcut in the Start Menu.  Avast 5 IS starting when Windows starts - avast services show up in the processes list and avastui.exe is listed as a startup item in msconfig.  As a matter of fact, even without the icon showing in the tray, I get the green pop-up message window when the VPS is automatically updated.  Everything is working the way it should - except the tray icon!!  :'(

Maybe whatever is causing this on my system (and I think a few other systems based on what I see in the forums) will be fixed or changed in a future update.  It's only a minor inconvenience but I sure wish we could figure out why . . . .

Thank you again for your help and patience . . .

Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
OK your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »
I have seen this problem myself, but it is very intermittent. We're currently investigating the issue.
But generally I'd say I can confirm there's still something fishy about it (my guess is that it's a timing issue)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Thanks Vlk - - hopefully you will come up with some resolution for it.

Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

larry31

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »
New to this board:

I'm also missing an icon in System Tray. The [Safely Remove Hardware](icon)

I've pinned it down to when I get updates for Virus Detections. 

I can get the icon back by opening "My Computer" selecting any USB connected device and R-Clk'g  [Properties]  [Hardware](tab)  select a USB device.. [Properties]  [Policies](tab)
Click on the text.. "Safely Remove Hardware" and  [Stop] In the next popup box.. select the device again and [ok]
The icon then pop's up in the System Tray.

Most of the time it will remain in the tray after a new boot, but not always!

If it does remain in the tray, it will be ok until I do next update.

I should note that I do have the Avast icon and the Volume icon. It's only the [Safely Remove Hardware](icon) that goes missing.

I'm running Windows XP home with SP-3 and all Windows Updates. The rest of the system is fine.
Avast V-5.0.396  Virus Detection V-100130-1  (as of this writing)

I'll keep an eye on this forum just in case anyone comes up with a permanent fix.

stone2

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 12:38:24 AM »
Hi DavidR and others,
Just to let you know that I'm also having the problem even after the latest update. I have exactly the same symptoms as Gandalf, however as stated before my ATITOOL and BiTMeter icons are still missing, although  they all appeared once after a reboot the other day but have stayed away 10 or so reboots since.
The programs are all loading as I see them listed in the processes tree.
Still love avast as I have done for years and this is the only problem albeit small I have ever had.
Cheers and thanks for your time.