Author Topic: No scan in avast 5 - idiot needs help!  (Read 6147 times)

HCEarwicker

No scan in avast 5 - idiot needs help!
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »
Forgive me guys if I'm in the wrong place - this is one hell of a guide, and my first post!

SO -anyone fancy helping out a PC newbie...meaning giving me an idiot guide with as little puter-speak as humanly possible?

This morning, prompted by the umpteenth popup, I replaced my free avast 4 with avast 5. All seems fine, except for the scan page: I have all the icons for the various scans (on the left), but no text by the side of those scans - and the whole page is 'dead'; the icons don't respond to the mouse. However, 'custom' scan DOES work.

Should I go back to 4? Uninstall/re-install? And if so, how?

I'd be grateful if any very patient teachers out there, who remember what it was like to be stupid, fancy a crack at helping me out.

PhilR

Re: No scan in avast 5 - idiot needs help!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »
Try a repair of Avast from control panel's add/remove programs.  It may fix it for you.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
Welcome HCEarwicker

Please include your system specifications in your post as to CPU type and speed and amount of RAM and operating System and Service pack level as that helps the helpers offer pertinent tips.

HCEarwicker

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
Thanks PhilR - I found 'repair' all by myself! But no change yet - I'm about to restart. I imagine that's the thing to do.

Kenny! Thought you were dead!

I have XP media centre (I gather = pro)/ SP 2 (guess I should get 3)/ 1 Gb RAM/Pentium 4 CPU 3.2 GB.

I'll get back if the restart doesnt help.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »
"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
Mark Twain

Where do you know me from?

HCEarwicker

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
Kenny - I only know you off the telly! You know..."OMG they killed Kenny"??

And many thanks, Phil the repair/restart has fixed my page. I've only had a PC for a couple of years; I'm still waiting for my first major catastrophe - got off lightly so far :)

Just a couple of quick Qs - I've set my profile not to publish me email addy, but it's still there (I think). Any ideas?

And: I just had a minor panic when the boot-up scan which I'd sceduled. It wouldn't respond to the keyboard - not to "esc" or any number (to delete or repair the one bit of malware that was found). I had to turn off the puter at mains and reboot. I've now un-scheduled the boot up scan. Any advice?

Again, thanks for the speedy replies.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »
Oh not it isn't, see image ;D

Only you and the Moderators can see it.

I bet you are using a USB keyboard, in winXP by all accounts it doesn't work in boot-time scan, e.g. outside of windows. Try using a PS2 keyboard.

Not always advisable to unplug at the mains, try this press and Hold in the PC power button for 5 seconds, until you see it power down, that gives a slightly tidier shutdown. Press the power putton agin (as normal) to restart.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:02:39 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »
You are in good hands now with DavidR

I used to watch Southpark with my daughter and so I thought I would use him as my Personalized Picture.

HCEarwicker

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
Thaks a lot for the advice, DavidR, and YoKenny - only just logged in and caught up to the last couple of posts!

David, you're spot-on re my equipment - but I had a problem with startup recently and got into the habit of turning off/on at the wall...Fraid I can't afford a new keyboard (U/E for too long), but I'll bear it mind, and do things the right way from now on.

Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 06:24:59 PM »
You're welcome.

My PS2 Benq x-touch 800 keyboard (brand new, but old model) cost 99p on ebay, the postage was reasonable but obviously more expensive than the keyboard. So there are some relatively cheap and functional keyboards out there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security