Author Topic: Some problems about avast.setup file with other firewalls  (Read 2184 times)

wangfuwei

Some problems about avast.setup file with other firewalls
« on: February 04, 2010, 05:08:59 AM »
Hello everyone!

I have installed Avast! 5.0 Free in my Window7 Ultimate Edition. Along with it I install Comodo, Firewall and Defense+(HIPS) Modules. Everything goes well but one: Every time I update Avast!, the firewall and D+ will report that the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast.setup is visiting the Internet and some protected file folders, which I am sure are harmless. But the point is, even if I have set avast.setup as a trusted file, the firewall keeps warning it again and again.

Later I found the cause. In the folder mentioned above, avast.setup exists only when setup is taken on; that may mean when we update or change the avast program and virus defination, the file avast.setup will be created automatically; and when the update is done, this file will be deleted. That's the reason why Comodo reported this file always - firewall recognize it as a different file every time!

The same problem is true in some certain firewall softwares so far. The Kingsoft Firewall from China, for instance. Not a serious problem, but very unconvienient, though. I have found a solution by simply configure the Comodo, but as to other firewall products I can't find answers to each.

Whether such a system is designed in special purpose I don't know, but I wonder if there is a better solution...Perhaps Avast! could improve this function?

cadremis

Re: Some problems about avast.setup file with other firewalls
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:17:22 AM »
I use PC Tools Personal Firewall Plus and if I erase the uninstalled key avast_setup every time that I restart computer the firewall asks to allow or deny, What I did is to hide that uninstalled key in PC Tools Personal Firewall Plus and it does not bother me any more.