Author Topic: why can't we have manual scans reflected in real time ?  (Read 1940 times)

Hermite15

why can't we have manual scans reflected in real time ?
« on: January 28, 2010, 10:19:07 PM »
just wondering... was told a while ago when I saw the scanner stuck on a rather small file that in fact the file being scanned was not the one appearing in the GUI, but the next one. Just did a full scan and again, I saw that happen, and I knew exactly what file came next and was the reason of the waiting  ;D So again, what we see is actually the last file scanned and not the one being scanned...is there any major technical difficulty in changing this behavior?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: why can't we have manual scans reflected in real time ?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 10:38:25 PM »
It's been my impression that the vast majority of scanners which show what's "currently" being scanned (whether an individual file or just the folder it's in) work pretty much the same way, what the display shows is the last one completed.  I've often noticed the same as you, that it's showing as "current" what you know is a relatively small file (or folder) for a long time because what it's actually scanning at the moment is the next one which is much larger.

Not a big deal to me, since I try to avoid doing anything else on the computer while I'm running a scan and find something else to do in the meantime, like a hand-held game or catching up on my reading or looking for something to eat.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Hermite15

Re: why can't we have manual scans reflected in real time ?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
lol yeah but the thing is I keep using the laptop while the scan goes on (set to normal priority and not high) and I like to have a look once in a while  ;)