Author Topic: Script blocker  (Read 18742 times)

Amerk_5

Re:Script blocker
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004, 07:04:34 AM »
I prefer to run Script Defender with avast Home rather than Script Sentry because of exactly what you said Tipton, you can add your own scripts to be blocked.

Unlike Script Sentry you wont have to wait for the program to be updated to be able to block new scripts. The only downside to that is that you need to be up on any new security issues to know if there's a new script that you need to block.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2004, 07:07:09 AM »
True But Script defender has had only 2 revisions since its inital release! So it is bound to have way more bugs than Script Sentry
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Amerk_5

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2004, 08:13:11 AM »
True But Script defender has had only 2 revisions since its inital release! So it is bound to have way more bugs than Script Sentry

It's possible that there may be more bugs but I haven't found any yet.

Tipton

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2004, 04:10:51 PM »
So if a person was using script defender, where would you go to find an up to date list of scripts to add to the block list?

Douglas
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 04:11:16 PM by Tipton »

cousindave

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2004, 04:18:25 PM »
Script Sentry user here,no problems.
Ever!! ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2004, 04:18:58 PM »
So if a person was using script defender, where would you go to find an up to date list of scripts to add to the block list?

Douglas

See the User's faq link in my signature: Suggested packers extension list on the providers. See Scan files on open.

AnalogX Script Defender happy user  8)
Besides avast Script Blocking!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 04:23:35 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Tipton

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2004, 04:30:56 PM »

Douglas

See the User's faq link in my signature: Suggested packers extension list on the providers. See Scan files on open.

AnalogX Script Defender happy user  8)
Besides avast Script Blocking!  ;D

So if I was to add all those extensions to script defender, I would basically be up to date with the program? I haven't installed script defender yet, so I am not really sure how it is set up. Can I just copy and paste from your list? Or do I need to add a . before each one?

It sounds like proxomitron as far as it not being supported software. I still use proxo, because you can add your own filters and keep it up to date to block the latest ads.

Douglas
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 04:51:25 PM by Tipton »

Tipton

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2004, 05:31:12 PM »
I went ahead and installed script defender. I installed your block list. Noticed right away that there is a bug in the program. It does not remember the entire list later when you go back and look at it. I found a fix at Wilders for that though. The .exe in your list I think I will remove. Script defender pops up everytime I want to run a software program. Also, you have .PIF in your list twice. :)

Douglas

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2004, 05:53:54 PM »
I went ahead and installed script defender. I installed your block list. Noticed right away that there is a bug in the program. It does not remember the entire list later when you go back and look at it. I found a fix at Wilders for that though. The .exe in your list I think I will remove. Script defender pops up everytime I want to run a software program. Also, you have .PIF in your list twice. :)

Douglas

Thanks for the corrections.
Yeah, you must take out the .EXE extension.
For me, it remembers the list after I close, reboot and so on  ::)

Maybe the list could be only:
.VBS,.VBE,.JS,.JSE,.HTA,.WSF,.WSH,.SHS,.SHB,.HTM,.PIF,.COM,.SCR,.DOC,.XLS
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 07:55:30 PM by Technical »

Tipton

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2004, 06:22:15 PM »
Holy cow, did I ever have a bad experience with script defender. After adding your list, script defender would of course popup everytime I wanted to start a software program. Well, I decided to take the .exe out of the list. When I clicked on script defender, the script defender popup appeared, and all it had in the path was "C". I clicked to continue, and nothing would come up. I then tried other software programs, and I would get "the application path does not exist" popup for all my software installs. I tried going directly to the script defender folder and executing it from there with no luck. I then had no internet connection.  I re-booted, and still had the problem. Some stuff would not boot with windows.

I was forced to use my True Image boot CD, and restore from an image. Good thing I made an image before installing. Always a good practice! I am not sure what happened.

Douglas

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2004, 07:58:29 PM »
Sorry for the inconvenience  :-[  :-[
I updated my early post... In fact, list must be very much short than the initial one  :-\

Tipton

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2004, 10:34:10 PM »
So how well does the script blocker work in the pro version of Avast? I notice you use script defender in conjunction with the Avast script blocker. Is the Avast script blocker not enough?

Douglas

cousindave

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2004, 11:29:49 PM »
This is what Script Sentry blocks by default. :)
VBS,VBE,JS,JSE,WSH,WSF,SHS,SHB,HTA,REG
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 11:33:10 PM by cousindave »

Tipton

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2004, 12:14:17 AM »
This is what Script Sentry blocks by default. :)
VBS,VBE,JS,JSE,WSH,WSF,SHS,SHB,HTA,REG

Can you add to the list with script sentry? If not, that seems like a small list compared to lists I have seen that people have posted in various forums. What does the list look like that the Avast script blocker uses?

Douglas

cousindave

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2004, 02:39:21 AM »
There's no way to add to Script Sentry's list that I can tell.