Author Topic: Avast 5 and Chrome killed my Hard Disc  (Read 12584 times)

waking

Re: Avast 5 and Chrome killed my Hard Disc
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »
The weirdest topic ive ever read.
Ive never experience entire of my life a software damage HD.

Define what you mean by "damage HD". Clearly malicious or buggy programs
can corrupt a hard disk's data and control structures. Early trojans were
often simple programs which silently began deleting all files on your hard
disk or reformatting it. Malware that corrupts or deletes the operating
system's components or alters the MBRs can render a computer unbootable
from that hard disk. That's why we have recovery disks.

The OP's final comments make it clear that there was no claim that the
*hardware* was totalled, since recovery was possible and achieved.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
The weirdest topic ive ever read.
Ive never experience entire of my life a software damage HD.

Define what you mean by "damage HD". Clearly malicious or buggy programs
can corrupt a hard disk's data and control structures. Early trojans were
often simple programs which silently began deleting all files on your hard
disk or reformatting it. Malware that corrupts or deletes the operating
system's components or alters the MBRs can render a computer unbootable
from that hard disk. That's why we have recovery disks.

The OP's final comments make it clear that there was no claim that the
*hardware* was totalled, since recovery was possible and achieved.

Look at his title 0.0

"Avast & Chrome kills My HD"?

What i mean my post is..

I had never experience HD not working because of the software installed or viruses infected the system.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:05:02 PM by chubalz »
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

olddog

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »
so avast 5 and Chrome killed your hard disk hey ? do you realize that what you're saying...? I'm afraid you don't  :D too bad your hard disk is dead now and you can't send the memory dump. Neither Avast nor Chrome nor any software in this world can kill a hard disk OK ? You had a hardware failure due to whatever reason, and that's why you got the blue screen. Topic should be locked, it's getting boring. What's next, your house collapsed after you installed Avast 5 ?

Logos,
This thread was started by a newbie who had experienced a "Blue screen of death", as indeed has been reported by others in the forum. He came to this forum to report his problem. That he chose to title his post perhaps not in the most appropriate terms, it is certainly no worse than many other titles found on the forum.   

At the risk of offending you, your post quoted here I believe is both condescending and downright rude, and certainly does not present a good image to a new forum member. If you find other peoples posts so boring and you have nothing to contribute to help them, then respectfully perhaps it would be better if you refrained from posting replies to them. That is my opinion, please feel free to differ. 

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »

At the risk of offending you, your post quoted here I believe is both condescending and downright rude, and certainly does not present a good image to a new forum member. If you find other peoples posts so boring and you have nothing to contribute to help them, then respectfully perhaps it would be better if you refrained from posting replies to them. That is my opinion, please feel free to differ. 

here's what I do with your opinion:
 ;D
...not taking any lesson give me a break OK ?  ::)

waking

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 01:43:55 PM »
Look at his title 0.0
"Avast & Chrome kills My HD"?

And? If you're taking "kills My HD" to mean "rendered the *hardware* totally unusable"
then you have read too much into the expression. Reading it in the context of the
full message it's clear the OP meant "renders the HD corrupted to the point of making
recovery from external media necessary".

>I had never experience HD not working because of the software installed or viruses infected the system.

It happens. Usually the HD can be restored via external means, which may require
reformatting before restoring the OS and data. But if the drive's firmware gets
corrupted then it may have to be replaced or returned to the manufacturer to have
a flash memory restoration. Some newer Seagate drives recently had a firmware bug
which after certain activities became totally unusable. Firmware can be altered via
downloads.

Seagate releases new firmware for broken hard drives
http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/CDN/News.asp?sub=true&id=51725

Seagate Releases Firmware to Fix HDD Bricks
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-hard-drive-firmware-bricked,6889.html

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »
A point ur right i didnt read the context of the full msg ;D.

I jump to the Title because i was really shock of it.

Peace ;D

Killed = Destroyed.

Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Hermite15

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
is it useful to mention at all that the OP mentioned that his hard disk wasn't recognized/detected at boot time, that remaining options like network boot and optical media boot were left as the only options ??? is that really useful to mention that he said his recovery CD didn't detect any hard disk ? does that come from hard disk corruption as a result of the operating system messing with the data ??? no. he said no detection, he didn't say there was a message that indicated something was corrupted, bootsector etc..., he said no detection.

... and then magic happens, another try, hard disk's detected again (by the freaking BIOS!!!), checkdisk is doing its job to correct errors on the disk ..there never was any hard disk failure...so either the OP lied or... look, I don't care  ::) ... thing is I missed the last part of his post where he already said that he finally could reinstall Windows...asking again after this if Avast+Chrome can kill a hard disk and if anyone here experienced something similar  :)

I might have overreacted after those several days of continuous bashing of Avast on these forums after the release of V5. Gotta say I'm getting absolutely fed up with that, so when I read a thread with such a freaking title...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:54:04 PM by Logos »

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 02:48:01 PM »
+1Logos

Yeap im thinking of that also and im really confuse.

He said no detecting HD. When it say No detecting HD this means its a Hardware failure or in BIOS issues. right?

Then suddenly he tried different ways then it detects?

What a weird?... :o

2old4this!

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »
I too have had the  'blue screen' - i am posting this via my mobile phone. Am exhausted from investigating ALL OTHER programs on my pc!   Trying 2work out which evil sofware was the culprit. Because up until now, Avast was one program i have never had to worry about. For 4yrs I felt secure + protected. Until now. I am surprised, and disappointed. :~(

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »
I too have had the  'blue screen' - i am posting this via my mobile phone. Am exhausted from investigating ALL OTHER programs on my pc!   Trying 2work out which evil sofware was the culprit. Because up until now, Avast was one program i have never had to worry about. For 4yrs I felt secure + protected. Until now. I am surprised, and disappointed. :~(

Hi, you should have started your own thread, and if you had a bsod you can transmit a dump file to avast, this would help understanding your problem  ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:54:44 PM by Logos »

2old4this!

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »
Sorry - no sleep yet - +jus realised what a negative, and useless  post mine was. Negative - and totally lacking explanation or intelligence! Respect 2 all here. And i will come back when i have slept - + hopefully am more  articulate  ;~> * beats hasty retreat - all embarrassed like.