Author Topic: [SOLVED][5.0.396 Free] Tray icon not showing in startup/Missing things in UI...  (Read 5159 times)

o2xygen

I have been using Vista and avast free which has been working flawlessly... However, I had to upgrade to win7 with the upgrade option so its not a clean install.
After upgrading, avast 377 was not shown in system tray... I uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled and the problem was continuing for a couple of days now.
I downloaded the new version which I thought would solve the problem but its still here... I reinstalled it for the 100th time but the problem is here. Its in love with 7 I would say.
Anyway, on each restart the tray icon is missing, but the services are all up and running (otherwise I wouldn't wait a week to report it :))
Also the UI became extremely...brief! The laconist spartans could have been jealous right now!! But I believe a picture of avast would give an idea of what I am talking about...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:42:08 AM by o2xygen »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: [5.0.396 Free] Tray icon not showing in startup/Missing things in UI...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:43:44 AM »
What the...? Wait, how did you do that? :)

But seriously, this is an interesting problem. What language version of avast did you install, and were you playing with language switching in any way? Was it a default install, or a custom one?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

waking

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
Also the UI became extremely...brief!

Even if you click on "Show details" at the right?

o2xygen

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:28:21 PM »
Emm, I tried both the custom without changing anything and the default install with the installer from Cnet and the latest one (396) from alwil server so that would probably be the english version (cnet installer had a *_eng.exe in the end)...
I used the aswClear in 396 reinstallation as well... I wasn't playing with language settings, greek is mother tongue but I wouldn't understand a thing in greek when it comes to technology terms (it would all just seem too greek to me :)) So I left the english language intact!!

I absolutely don't know how that happened!! All I know is that this happened after the upgrade from Vista home premium to 7 ultimate!! I didn't encounter any problems in the upgrade but I do believe that this should have caused the problem! Am I the only one running windows Vista 7 Ultimate Home like operating system?? ;D

o2xygen

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:00:19 AM »
What the...? Wait, how did you do that? :)

But seriously, this is an interesting problem. What language version of avast did you install, and were you playing with language switching in any way? Was it a default install, or a custom one?

VLK!!!!!!! MY AVAST IS ON HOLIDAY!!!

it still refuses to show me everything in the gui that its supposed to show!!!I even changed the Language for non-unicode programs to English (united states) [it was united kingdom before], but that didn't do the trick either!!

Well I tried this for the icon: disabled self defence, stopped avast services, killed avastui.exe, restarted services and run the \nogui command which puts the icon in the tray as it should! Maybe I should try the option that says avast to load the services afterwards!! EDIT: Nope, failed!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:12:13 AM by o2xygen »

o2xygen

solved by deleting everything related to avast from the hard disk and the registry...well the ones i believe is the culprit are some registry keys and files that were something with RASAPI and RASMANCS.. or then again it could be something in the avast directory under programdata... anyway, problem is fixed!! thanks go to my mother and father and sister and brother and my cat paolo for doing absolutely nothing and helping me fix avast...