Author Topic: Avast! 5 IS: re-windows license change  (Read 3437 times)

hyjaxltd

Avast! 5 IS: re-windows license change
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
Sorry for the repost but I just wanted to insure this is dealt with.

I have a pre-service pack windows Vista Ult. Installation Disk.  After all the beta testing, and running into a site with a trojan that tried to download (YAAY :-* Avast for stopping it).

Once I had the Windows OS installed, I loaded my MoBo driver packages, then would install the Internet Security suite.  Upon restart (not immeaditly) windows would eventually keep notifying me that my license was INVALID :o.  After three complete wipe/installs (thinking I maybe had a deep rootkit virus) this was entirely repeatable until I held off installing Avast Interent Security nutil I was FULLY UPDATED.  NP at that point.

Can we address this if its not already ???  If it is then I apogize for any type of 'duplicate' posting but after sleeping on it realized this is an error that warrants its own topic.

Hermite15

Re: Avast! 5 IS: re-windows license change
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »
so you're on Vista fully updated, ie SP2 right ? OK and this happens only when you install the IS. My best guess is that the firewall might block some traffic necessary for Windows validation, as this is checked each time you reboot. May be no internet traffic but some Windows internal traffic... I've had a huge issue, by my fault, recently when deleting manually the content of the firewall rules file. When rebooting I found an empty desktop, went into safe mode and found in Windows events that tens of errors related to DCom stuff and NT/authority happened. Anyway I suspect the firewall of messing with the rules in a general way, and this could be the source of your issue. I'm not sure at all, just guessing...
 Another possibility is the behavior shield, try to deactivate it...

hyjaxltd

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:31:46 AM »
so you're on Vista fully updated, ie SP2 right ? OK and this happens only when you install the IS. My best guess is that the firewall might block some traffic necessary for Windows validation, as this is checked each time you reboot. May be no internet traffic but some Windows internal traffic... I've had a huge issue, by my fault, recently when deleting manually the content of the firewall rules file. When rebooting I found an empty desktop, went into safe mode and found in Windows events that tens of errors related to DCom stuff and NT/authority happened. Anyway I suspect the firewall of messing with the rules in a general way, and this could be the source of your issue. I'm not sure at all, just guessing...
 Another possibility is the behavior shield, try to deactivate it...
Actually, I found out through the last install its not even with my network connection open.  Its simply after the Avast5 is installed, reboot, then sometime after reboot Windows errors out.  At that point you cant open your Control Panel, etc.  So however window would recognise its license had changed  ???.  This weekend I will try this a few more times if there is any way to create some sort of recoverable log.  The error window is VERY persistent.  If you restart you cant even log in, and eventually can get to the following error message; "An unauthorized change was made to your license"...it is COMPLETLY windows generated and again is regardless of having internet established.  So it MAY not be the WGA tool but something deeper.

Let me know how to create anything that will give data and I will get it uploaded this weekend.

EDIT:  To restate this is with Vista FR (no updates/service packs)  I have ZERO issues when updated then install Avast.  Would rather be protected whil I update though, like now.  BTW...that refers to ZERO problems here for MS update and Avast.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:33:53 AM by hyjaxltd »

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
oh I understood you meant you started with Vista FR and then updated with the SPs, ok...