Author Topic: Avast 5 v377 stopped placing notes into clean mail. Don't know why.  (Read 2613 times)

2nd base

If anyone has had this issue, could they please let me know what they did to fix it without uninstalling the program. I use Outlook express and the program does recognize the ports as accurate. I have also verified that the program is set to place these notes into received mail. I don't even know that the program is actually scanning mail anymore because there is no icon to verify that it is.

As i stated, upon the initial install of the program, it did show these notes but now it does not . The only thing that it has done to itself is a few definition updates. I don't get it. Windows Xp sp3, btw.

I'm waiting for the public release of the new build so that I can verify that the update feature for the program actually works properly so I do not want to uninstall and reinstall athe new build. As I stated, the mail scanner WAS adding these notes into clean mail, it just stopped doing so.

waking

Re: Avast 5 v377 stopped placing notes into clean mail. Don't know why.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »
>I don't even know that the program is actually scanning mail anymore because
>there is no icon to verify that it is.

Even if the option to insert a note into scanned mail is off, avast! will put
lines in the message headers such as these:

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 100128-1, 28/01/2010), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

Since you are using OE, you can right-click on a message in your inbox and
choose "Properties". Then click on "Details" and scroll to the bottom of the
headers to see these lines added by avast!.

>I'm waiting for the public release of the new build ...

Version 5.0.396 has been released.

2nd base

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:26:40 AM »
Well, thats interesting. The program did not notify me of a new release and it is set to do so. I did manage to update via the user interface though. After a restart of the system, it still is not adding any notes to my scanned email that they are clean, although the right click option to verify does work and I knew that I could do that already anyhow. Thanks anyway though.

The point is, Why have an option to place these notes into mail if it does not do so when asked? I'm so glad I waited on purchasing this product. As it is now, I'll wait and see if the developers fix these things before I buy anything.

I still cannot believe that they didn't put a mail scanning icon or an update icon into the program. That was very useful.

Anyway, thanks for the response.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:39:03 AM by 2nd base »

2nd base

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:33:49 AM »
So, I guess now I still have the same issue except for it's now build 396.

Computer is actually running smooth though with no errors. Thats always good, I guess. Thanks to all who worked to address those performance issues. If only Microsoft were that good......
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:35:49 AM by 2nd base »

waking

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:39:26 AM »
>The program did not notify me of a new release and it is set to do so

Notifications are sent out at varying intervals to balance the load on the servers.
Therefore everyone will not receive notification at the same time.

>I still cannot believe that they didn't put a mail scanning icon or an update icon into
>the program. That was very useful.

I agree, I miss them too. Also when reading newsgroups (NNTP) the mail icon used
to show while connected to a news server. Gave you a warm fuzzy feeling ...