Author Topic: Translators needed!  (Read 49478 times)

robinson

Translators needed!
« on: January 29, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
Thanks to the hard work of not only our own translators, but also a number of dedicated volunteers, avast! 5 is already released in over a dozen languages. With the help of many of the same volunteers who helped us with 4.8, we’re now working on the next batch.

As well as the languages already released, we're already in the process of additionally localizing avast! into Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Macedonian, Malay, Norwegian, Romanian, Swedish, & Turkish.

However, there are a few languages for which we don’t currently have translators.

If you would be interested in working with us to localize avast! and you’re a native speaker of Croatian, Slovak, Thai, Ukrainian or Vietnamese, with good English/Czech, or if you're able to translate into Traditional Chinese, we’d love to hear from you!

Basic requirements include:

Expert user of avast!
Native speaker of target language with good English/Czech
Sufficient time to complete within 3 months

Some previous experience of localization software would also be an advantage

At the moment, we’re not considering other languages, although it’s possible that more may be added later.  If you would be interested in localizing avast! into a language that hasn’t been mentioned, please be patient. We would ask you to please not respond to this post in relation to other languages. We’ll create a new post here later.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:34:33 PM by robinson »

EliyahuT

Re: Translators needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:23:36 PM »
Can I translate to Hebrew?

The software Malwarebytes I also translated into Hebrew so I have experience.

thank you

mikhalek

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
Ready to help with Ukrainian translation! I'm native Ukrainian, worked more than 8 years in US company...

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 03:08:33 AM »
Hi Robinson,

Prima Partner Infotek (www.pppinfotek.com) was already requested since last year, and last time respond that from ALWIL site will provide to us your translation application.

But till today, we never again received your confirmation, is it because avast not launched yet?
So you postpone everything, included avast translation into Bahasa (Indonesia).

Please let us to know, if you need our help to translated into bahasa.
If you able to give to us privilege to translate your avast 5.0 version, it would be a plus point to Indonesia.

We are looking for your feedback
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 04:32:56 AM »
Unfortunately as a newbie with less than 20 posts, you don't have access to the PM function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

s4u

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »
I could help out on Dutch if help is needed

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »
just a note: Trevor mentioned a 3 months boundary for the whole translation, but considering the difference between extensive and intensive magnitudes this information doesn't give a full value.. it would be helpful for the volunteers to know what's the number of (unique) strings to translate ;).. some experiences from our current translators (Tech) could also help here...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
I'd like ask you to read once more what Trevor wrote (about what languages are already being translated and what will have to wait a while) - seems that only mikhalek's answer is relevant...

cakedoer2

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
I'd love to help with the Bulgarian translation. I've studied English for 8 years (and counting), also been on the Internet since 2006.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »
Nice but I think my chinese is not that good either and my French can contain some grammer mistakes plus english I studied for em...10 years I guess still not that good at it >_<"

cakedoer2

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 06:01:35 PM »
I guess I've gotten good at it because I've studied it since I was a kid.

I think in English now. When I talk to myself, I do it in English as well. I use it almost as much as Bulgarian, so I suppose that's why I speak it well.

I also study English for two hours twice a week from October to May, so go figure.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:10:11 PM by cakedoer2 »

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »
I study that every week for 40mins x 5.
It is rather interesting when reading stories at school but I don't like to read books at home seem to be losing time and I have plenty of homework houf man anyway going to sleep now good night :)

cakedoer2

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
That's just it, I suppose - I'm not talking about school, I'm taking special courses at a place called Britanica which is wayyy more advanced than what they teach at school.

When we have English in school, I just pick up my iPod Touch and play. :B

mikhalek

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
Just a question - how soon we are going to start? Just asking - I've got plenty of time and ready to begin any moment...

GhOstMaStEr

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »
Can help with Malay. :)