Author Topic: Avast 5 Pro or free?  (Read 5769 times)

bl4ckh4t

Avast 5 Pro or free?
« on: February 20, 2010, 12:14:49 AM »

Is the only difference between the two a sandbox? and if so, why $40 for a sandbox?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 5 Pro or free?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:29:11 AM »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »
Hi bl4ckh4t, welcome to the forum :)

The difference between Free and Pro is the Sandbox, the Script Shield and the faster updates. But I agree with you : The current pricing structure doesn't make it tempting to upgrade to Pro. On the other hand, that is maybe on purpose : Alwil wants to promote the Suite :)

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:44:50 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

bl4ckh4t

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:44:31 AM »
Ok thanks for your replies and info, i decided to support alwil and upgrade anyway :)

Rendah

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:29:40 AM »
Certainly Avast Free.

In my country, the full set of Kaspersky Internet Security only USD29 for 3 users, and Avira suites near to that. Avast! simply do not care of our region market.

Jon_T

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »
Ok thanks for your replies and info, i decided to support alwil and upgrade anyway :)
Did you update to Pro via Home?
Don't know what Alwil is currently doing with updating from Home v4.8 or v5 to Pro v5, but Alwil did provide a 30% discount when updating from Home 4.8 to Pro 4.8.

anjandavid

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:56:07 AM »
Certainly Avast Free.

In my country, the full set of Kaspersky Internet Security only USD29 for 3 users, and Avira suites near to that. Avast! simply do not care of our region market.

yes, you are right..
same as in my country..

SimonG

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
Personally I run both Pro and Home; Pro on my business machines, and Home on my personal and childrens pc's.

Day-to-Day running, no apparent difference between the two (one of the joys of Avast is once its set you can forget it).  I found the biggest difference pre-v5, is Home didn't have boot time scan.  However v5 Home now has this. 

I short I run Pro because I have business machines (so need to to comply with licence).  If I just had home machines I'd just run Home.

ps
Just to avoid confusion Home = free

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »

I short I run Pro because I have business machines (so need to to comply with licence).  If I just had home machines I'd just run Home.

Yes. business requirements mean that there should be a professional licence for AV. For example, insurances, creditation, etc..

I load Home for my clients and charge for this service and whatever other servicing might be necessary. If the computer is used for a business, even a SOHO, I will not load Home on the machine.

And btw - pre-v5 avast Home did have boot-time scan.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:34:38 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

bl4ckh4t

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »
Certainly Avast Free.

yes, you are right..
same as in my country..

Yeah, in the united states avs are very expensive.