Author Topic: Questions about some default settings that I have changed  (Read 3566 times)

2nd base

Questions about some default settings that I have changed
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
Hi All. After updating from build 377 to 396, my computer started running a bit slow so I disabled a few defaults. I did read the help file for the program so I don't think changing these settings actually affects the chance that files will not be scanned but just in case, I'll ask anyhow. As it is now the computer (xp sp3) is back running smooth again. (except for the fact that notes still are not being placed into clean incoming mail) I still have not heard anything at all in regard to that issue and I have mentioned it several times.

The computer is actually functioning fine but I'm concerned that these changes may cause a problem as far as files not being scanned unless someone can confirm otherwise.  If anyone can confirm it's ok to leave it this way who actually knows the repercussion, please confirm. Thanks.

Real time shields

File system shield:

file system/scan when opening/scan all files - now checked
file system/scan when writing/scan all files - now checked
file system/advanced/use transient caching- now unchecked
file system/advanced/use persistent caching- now unchecked

Web Shield:

use intelligent stream scanning - now unchecked

Behavior shield - disabled

Scan computer:

Scan computer/ scan now/performance - both quick and full scan I also disabled all of the persistent cache options meaning the the speed upscanning by using persistent cach as well as storing data about scanned files in persistent data.

Also, what the heck is up with the message box on the forum? You cannot even see what the heck you are typing because it keeps jumping
 all over the place. it's rediculous.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:19:39 PM by 2nd base »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Questions about some default settings that I have changed
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
Also, what the heck is up with the message box on the forum? You cannot even see what the heck you are typing because it keeps jumping
Do you mean when you are writing a post?

2nd base

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »
Do you mean when you are writing a post?
Yes.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »
No problem here.......have you checked your computer for malware with MBAM ?

or craphig card / driver problem...?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:12:30 PM by Pondus »

cazoza

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
No problem here.......have you checked your computer for malware with MBAM ?

I agree with Pondus, maybe you have malware in your system, scan it, because the forum window when posting doesn't move.

2nd base

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:11:24 PM »
I scanned with Malwarebytes and nothing showed up. It's not the window that moves around, it's the text. When I get to the bottom of the window and need more space to type it doesn't scroll down. It just jumps right back up to where I left off typing. I'm not really concerned with that though.

No word on my Avast! questions, I guess?

norel

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06:57 PM »
With reference to scanning all files, I left it at the default setting of off. I didn't use it with 4.8 either and never had a problem. With 5 I did turn it on at first to see what it would do and it kept constantly scanning so I turned it back off. Since Alwil set the default to off I figure it's probably okay for most normal usage, but of course everyone's experience is different. :)