Author Topic: Trent Micro Internet Secuirty vs Avast  (Read 14959 times)

Farrukh

Trent Micro Internet Secuirty vs Avast
« on: June 24, 2004, 05:13:42 PM »
Hi

I would like to know that what major difference does Avast and Trend Micro Internet Security have.

I need to buy one of them, but i cant make up my mind.

please, dont suggest Macfee or Norton as I hate those products.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Trent Micro Internet Secuirty vs Avast
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 05:52:26 PM »
Well, here it will be better to ask 'what will I do with Trend Micro'?
No doubt, avast!  8)
Best and fast updates, skinned application, forum support, etc. etc. etc.  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 06:07:02 PM »
Well Trend Micro IS contains other components - such as firewall and parental control. But you can get a decent freeware firewall (such as ZoneAlarm Free or Sygate Free) that works with avast and most people don't need parental-control type applications... ;) :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Farrukh

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 06:08:29 PM »
I have read many reviews on the net that place trend Micro on the top of all Anti Viruses.

Macfee and Norton also fall short.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 06:17:56 PM »
Well... Trend Micro products really aren't bad but avast isn't bad either... ;)

What I mean is that details matter - some people like NAV, some like Trend and some like avast. You'll have to make the decision... :P
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Kobra

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 06:19:53 PM »
I have read many reviews on the net that place trend Micro on the top of all Anti Viruses.

Macfee and Norton also fall short.

Care to elaborate?  I hate strong claims like this, without appropriate facts to back them up. For one how does McAfee fall short? Its one of the best detection and definition products out there. Although I don't like its interface and internet center crap, it doesn't "Fall Short".  For another, i'd like to see under what criteria any reviewer would rate Trend's product as the best, i'd question the thoroughness of any test that said that.

For another, Trend at best is a mediocre product.  My personal testing, which is up to 30,000 viruses, shows trend to be merely "Average" in all catagories.  Overall, with most all threats, it scores in the 92-93% range on my samples.  If I put in rebased/repacked threats, this score drops considerably, as Trend doesn't seem to detect nonstandard threats very well.

Trend also proved to be somewhat unstable, a bit buggy, and its firewall was "Average" at best.

In summary, is Avast a better product?  Yes... (in my opinion)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 06:22:24 PM by Kobra »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 06:25:09 PM »
A lot of us use Trend's Housecall (online scanner) for a "second opinion" if we question the results of an avast scan (don't forget to pause avast's Standard shield while you do that).  After all, just about any a-v (or for that matter, any kind of security product) in the world will occasionally throw out a false-positive at you, or on the other hand a "false-negative" in the sense of missing something.

But we very rarely use two installed a-v's, simply because they almost always conflict with each other.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 07:25:10 PM »
When I used Trends PC-cillin I always had problems with their on-line auto updates. It was always quicked to do it manually and this is a bad thing as if you skip manual updates you can be caught out.

Avasts auto update for the most part is seamless and quick and it offers forms of protection that are not available on trends product.

This forum also has many ex trend customers. Yes some of us use the housecall on occasion for a second opinion, but you can't have that without lots of the other baggage.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 07:50:34 PM »
Don't forget to pause avast's Standard shield while you do that

Mike, is it really necessary? Will it afect the scanning?
The best things in life are free.

Farrukh

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 10:56:04 PM »
Reviews  and ratings  from ZDNet

ZoneAlarm Security Suite  
Rated : 8.0
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/internet/0,39024165,39156882,00.htm

Norton Internet Security 2004
Rated : 7.7
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/internet/0,39024165,39118036,00.htm

Norton AntiVirus 2004
Rated : 7.8
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/internet/0,39024165,39118036,00.htm

McAfee VirusScan 8.0
Rated : 7.5
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/utilities/0,39024210,39116726,00.htm

McAfee Internet Security 4.0
Rated : 7.2
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/utilities/0,39024210,10000133,00.htm

Sophos Anti-Virus 3.7
Rated : 7.3
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/utilities/0,39024210,39116394,00.htm

PC-cillin Internet Security 11
Rated : 8.1
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/utilities/0,39024205,39119029,00.htm

Kobra. I have not started this thread so that people can come and flame. If you like MacAfee, then stick to it. I am not asking anyone to drop your Choices for Trend Micro.

Moreover, this thread is b/w Trend Micro and Avast.

I want to buy a product. I need advice. Not flames

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 12:15:51 AM »
Mike, is it really necessary? Will it afect the scanning?

Necessary?  I haven't a clue, to be honest.  Just one of the habits I've acquired, essentially not running two a-v's at once even if one's resident and the other on-demand.

And there are situations where things definitely seem to run smoother if the Standard shield's paused (I've got it set to High, which might make a difference) -- Win Update, for one.  And an Ad-Aware scan is a little faster and smoother if Standard's paused, too.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Kobra

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 12:44:11 AM »
Zdnet is the most un-credible source of Reviews out there.  Not only does Zdnet not even use their own samples for testing, they lack technical knowledge to even be considered credible review sources.  Not that i'm a technical guru, but my god, they are newbish beyond belief.

For example:

"In past VirusBulletin tests, Trend Micro's PC-cillin has been tested on Windows systems six times since November 2001 and earned its coveted VB 100 percent title five times. By comparison, Norton AntiVirus has been tested on Windows systems six times since 2000 and passed each time; McAfee VirusScan has been tested and earned the coveted VB 100 percent title only once. "

So apparently, they think they can credibly recommend a product based on someone ELSES testing?  That makes no sense to me whatsoever.  Secondly, Virus Bulletin is nothing more than an indicator of relative ITW performance, but by no means is real world. Even 1 false positive disqualifies many people, so the details must be closely examined.  Any reviewer that uses VB awards as a method to add credibility to their own reviews, deserves no mention at all in my book.

A more reliable test - if you exclude his DOS virses, would be:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Which as you can see, Avast scores a bit higher than Trend with the on-demand test, and comparing that to my own personal inhouse testing, he's pretty acurrate.  Oh, and look at McAfee's scores here, compared to the other products listed...  I don't run McAfee personally - and I probably never will run it, but few can deny its raw effectiveness with detections.

So your short answer:  Avast is better than Trend.

PS: I don't see how you read into my first reply as a flame.. I just don't see it at all.  You asked a question, and I answered it.  The only thing I questioned, was your "Assumption" that everyone else thinks McAfee and Norton are lacking. Thats just not the case. Hopefully with my post, you'll be armed with more knowledge, allowing you to make an informed purchase decision for your AV product.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 12:50:53 AM by Kobra »

Negeltu

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 01:42:03 AM »
I think you may sound a little aggressive Kobra.  Most people feel belittled when someone overwhelms them with technical speak or aggressively challenges what they say.  Let's all just take it easy.  :)

Farrukh

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 02:59:46 AM »
Kobra, use what ever you like. Please, dont reply to this thread.

You can open a new thread for your Macfee.

This thread is for Trend Micro and Avast products only.

moses_x

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 03:06:16 AM »
I was using PC-Cillin2000. Unfortunetly, Trend Micro decides to kill all updates possibilities ( it's working since 2000 with the virus list. Only the engine i've have to update manual). So, i've decide to test internet Security and i've hated it! It installs a firewall without your wish and the memory usage were bigger then PC-cillin. So, i've decide to change my AV software and i discovered avast!. Oh .....nothing is better then avast!. A great software with one thing that no other AV have: this great forum and support.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 03:09:05 AM by moses_x »