Author Topic: 2 problems...Solution?  (Read 3677 times)

areicb

2 problems...Solution?
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »
I first want to say great changes in the UI.  Avast has always been top notch, but the UI kept me away.  The new interface is a complete 360 and is probably the best around.  I have 2 problems I seem unable to fix.  I am using a trial of Internet Security to test before buying.

Problem 1.  On a plugged in PC, there is a popup every time I start, saying it found the network connection.  Pretty annoying, can I time it out or just get rid of it?

Problem 2. Firewall - I use GOM media player, everytime I play a video I get a fireall prompt (set to "ask") every time I open a video.  The process is the same each time and I always select "remember".  I do notice there is no digital signature.  I have manually set full access to both GOM components and it still asks every time I open a file with GOM.  My network is set to work and the firwall is set to "ask" every time a program tries to make access.  Every other program seems to follow the rule I make for it except this, it just keeps asking?

Thanks all in advance

Win7 Pro x64

Offline RedFan

Re: 2 problems...Solution?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »
Have you already updated to avast 5.0.396  ? you didnt tell which version is installed
IntelĀ® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:36:08 AM »
I first want to say great changes in the UI.  Avast has always been top notch, but the UI kept me away.  The new interface is a complete 360 and is probably the best around.  I have 2 problems I seem unable to fix.  I am using a trial of Internet Security to test before buying.

Problem 1.  On a plugged in PC, there is a popup every time I start, saying it found the network connection.  Pretty annoying, can I time it out or just get rid of it?

Problem 2. Firewall - I use GOM media player, everytime I play a video I get a fireall prompt (set to "ask") every time I open a video.  The process is the same each time and I always select "remember".  I do notice there is no digital signature.  I have manually set full access to both GOM components and it still asks every time I open a file with GOM.  My network is set to work and the firwall is set to "ask" every time a program tries to make access.  Every other program seems to follow the rule I make for it except this, it just keeps asking?

Thanks all in advance

Win7 Pro x64

Hi,

yeah the might be soon an option to change this behavior, and avoid a pop up each time to log in to Windows. Avast prefers to keep this option for mobile devices changing networks frequently. Next program update should allow to choose (pop up/ or not). What I'm worried about is if you turn that off on a desktop computer, you might no be alerted if your system connects automatically to another network in the neighborhood.

for your second issue I don't know, all rules seem to be remembered here.

areicb

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
Thanks Logos. my network is identified by the adapter and the ISP both from what I can tell.  You would think there would be a "remember THIS connection" option.  it is bothersome to have to approve a static connection every time

These are the only 2 options that have me on the fence about purchasing this

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »
well you don't have to approve anything you're just being notified again and again. Which will soon mean, with an option on this, notified all the time or nothing...yeah...not sure I agree with that either.

cakedoer2

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »
I have the exact same OS and the first problem bugs me a lot as well.
It'd be great if it gets fixed soon, because it's quite annoying.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
I have the exact same OS and the first problem bugs me a lot as well.
It'd be great if it gets fixed soon, because it's quite annoying.

well you don't have to reboot your system every minute  ;)