Author Topic: Avast 5.0 PDF in Browser  (Read 19571 times)

krgoodwin

Re: Avast 5.0 PDF in Browser
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Avast said they were working on the problem and suggested that I stop the File System Shield. I tried this but it didn't circumvent the problem.  I have tried turning off just about everything on an individual basis without any joy.  Another difference is that I am running Internet Security Version 5.396 (or whatever that latest updated version is numbered).  My other computer runs Version 9 of the free Adobe Reader so both the reader and Acrobat Pro have the same problem.  Maybe I should try the free avast Version 5.

Hermite15

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
won't make any difference, AV shields in AIS or in free are the same shields  ;D

edit: one exception is the script shield not present in "free" but I have no idea if it's related to your issue.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
Actually, it is :)
Vlk found the problem a while ago.

Hermite15

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »
Actually, it is :)
Vlk found the problem a while ago.

which would explain why people with this issue (displaying pdf in browsers) only had it in IE, as the script shield doesn't support FF etc...

krgoodwin

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
Turning off the Script Shield does nothing to fix my IE8/pdf problem.  I've tried turning every shield off individually with no resolution.  I'll admit it wasn't an exhaustive set of test scenarios but I am not on the awil payroll either.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 08:00:02 PM »
Please wait for the next build tonight.

Turning off the Script Shield was not enough, you had to turn it off and restart IE.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

krgoodwin

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »
No problem Vlk, I can easily wait for a fix.  I was concerned that the topic seemed to disappear off the forum which made me wonder if the forum inputs had made it to the developers.  Just asking though the technical support ticket process quickly resolved my concern.  Just my stupidity along makes me aware of the complexities of the Windows environment in conjunction with all the applications that are written for the OS.  Another thing that amazes me is the quantity of Internet spam that must be dealt with by such tools as avast.  One of the carriers that I use has told me that less than 1% of what hits their server is valid traffic. I find that very disconcerting.

On this IE8/pdf problem, I found that just allowing IE8 to restart (resume) itself solved the pdf freezing as long as the browser remained an active process.

Press on, I appreciate the effort and have ever since you fixed the BSD problems I was having with the new release.

Matrix-Z

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 11:05:59 PM »
Problem solved with new version 5.0.418   :) :D  ... at least in my configurations ... :)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
Put in front of the title (Solved)

Thank.

Hermite15

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 11:22:19 PM »
Put in front of the title (Solved)

Thank.

oh I see you became a thread title adviser  8)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
lol. Logos ::) Im just suggesting them if its solved to make it as Solved. Its take 1 sec ;D

krgoodwin

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 11:47:23 PM »
Version 5.0.418 solved my IE8/pdf freeze problem in both computers - thanks again.  Ken Goodwin

waking

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »
Confirmed. The problems I reported previously with this in Pro AV appear to be fixed.
No hangs experienced with any PDFs in IE6 since 418 update.