Author Topic: Avast 5.0 PDF in Browser  (Read 19492 times)

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5.0 PDF in Browser
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »
yeah OK, I never ever run Windows on a limited account and always opened pdf files directly in Firefox using adobe reader, never had any problem, never  :) ... even during  periods of time with known vulnerabilities ;)

Martinss

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »
No problems in XP SP3 and IE8-Firefox 3.6

zerospam

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
...Me being an XP user I can use DropMyRights on any given application (I do on all my internet facing applications, browsers, email, etc.), but I must first open the application rather than let the default file association trigger FoxIt pdf reader when I try to open a pdf file, as that would circumvent my use of DMR. There are many that don't like running on a limited user account ;D

What net-facing apps have you encountered that don't work properly in normal (non-admin) user accounts? Their publishers need to fix them.

BTW, DMR with the default ("N") option doesn't provide as much protection as is commonly assumed, since the spawned process,while deprived of admin rights, still possesses the admin account's *user* rights (that is, the rights pertaining to its username, such as the ability to modify files owned by that username). Thus, if, for example, you previously installed app "xyz" using administrative username "abc", its files are probably owned by "abc". If you then DMR a browser using the default options, the browser's process still possesses the right to do whatever it pleases with those files. It appears that you need to use the "C" or "U" DMR options to close this loophole.

AlReece45

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 08:10:18 PM »
I have encountered this problem on four computers running Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, and Windows XP Professional SP3 (2). Each test used Avast 5 Professional.

Most of the computers are unavailable for debugging, and have been downgraded to Avast 4.8 pro (thanks for keeping the download link on your website). I have set up one of the XP machines to specifically reproduce the problem. The problem appears to affect all PDFs opened inline within Internet Explorer 8 (my test PDF was the Avast User Guide). Terminating the process in task manager (which results in IE reloading the tab), appears to circumvent the issue in simple PDFs.

Disabling all of the shields in Avast 5 doesn't fix it. Uninstalling Avast 5 does. Avast 4.8 does not cause the issue. I have checked it against Adobe Reader 9.2 and 9.3. Resetting Internet Explorer Settings and Clearing Temporary Internet Files does not affect the issue. Doesn't affect Firefox 3.5.7 or Firefox 3.6.

Summary: same as krgoodwin except:
  • Reproduced on More Operating Systems
  • Reproduced on Avast 5 Professiona (instead of Internet Explorer)l
  • Reproducable with all PDFs

Matrix-Z

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »
@krgoodwin ...

I have avast 5.0 on two different systems (Windows 7 ultilmate and windows 7 Home premium and on both adobe reader 9.3, IE8 and avast 5.0 latest build).
It can be reproduced each time on both systems .. unless i uninstall Avast 5.0 ...
Seems an Avast 5.0 thing to me !!

Hermite15

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »
@krgoodwin ...

I have avast 5.0 on two different systems (Windows 7 ultilmate and windows 7 Home premium and on both adobe reader 9.3, IE8 and avast 5.0 latest build).
It can be reproduced each time on both systems .. unless i uninstall Avast 5.0 ...
Seems an Avast 5.0 thing to me !!

how long do you intend to spam the forums ?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55023.msg465304#msg465304
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:42:30 PM by Logos »

Matrix-Z

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
Logos .. to who are you referring ?
Why the link to another topic ?
Is a forum not intented to discuss things ?
Why otherwise is there a button 'Reply'  ?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:20:16 PM by Matrix-Z »

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 09:27:01 PM »
Logos .. to who are you referring ?
Why the link to another topic ?
Is a forum not intented to discuss things ?
Why otherwise is there a button 'Reply'  ?

1) you've already posted randomly the same post twice without caring about the topic.
2) the reply button is meant to post in a thread and be on topic
3) why are you adding @krgoodwin ... in front of your posts, in threads where no krgoodwin ...has posted  ??? ;D
4) the link to another topic was a thread where you just did what I describe here, ie posted exactly the same post like here now, and fortunately that was deleted in the meantime.

clear answer ?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:29:50 PM by Logos »

Matrix-Z

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
1.) I can't see same post twice in here from me ? (maybe i didn't see the new post and entered again ?..)
2.) This thread is about PDF in browser, is it not ?
3.) 10th and 13th post in this topic/thread is from krgoodwin ! you should read back ...
4.) your link doesn't make any sense to me ... and maybe to some others either ...
Seems to me like you are the spammer ... let people reply on / and discuss about the real subject in this topic ... PDF in BROWSER ...

Clear answer ?
(disccussion closed for me)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:44:07 PM by Matrix-Z »

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
1.) I can't see same post twice in here from me ? (maybe i didn't see the new post and entered again ?..)
2.) This thread is about PDF in browser, is it not ?
3.) 10th and 13th post in this topic/thread is from krgoodwin ! you should read back ...
4.) your link doesn't make any sense to me ... and maybe to some others either ...
Seems to me like you are the spammer ... let people reply on / and discuss about the real subject in this topic ... PDF in BROWSER ...

LOL  ::)

your post (the link, remember?) has been deleted because I reported it ( was almost an exact copy of your post here, in a screen saver related thread, where nobody called krgoodwin posted anything), so don't play that game pretending you didn't post it OK? I guess I'm done with you now  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:16:56 PM by Logos »

krgoodwin

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »
Per my earlier post on the Version 5 opening pdf files in IE8, I must have gotten suckered - the problem occurs for all web sites.  Using the task manager to end the application and then having IE8 restore the previous session remedies the problem which I how I must have been mistaken that the problem occurs for just 'some' web sites.  I have left one machine with Version 5 and have reverted to 4.8 on my other computer which exhibits no problems with IE8 and pdf files.

sebailey

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 12:55:30 AM »
Wow I had the same issue but was unaware Avast was causing it.  A google search is full of comments about this issue most say its an adobe issue. I had Adobe Standard 8 and upgraded to 9 and thought it was creating this issue. After not being able to resolve  it from any suggestions posted out in internet land I downgraded to Adobe 8 standard (I had both) and the issue went away. I currently do not have the issue with Avast 5 Pro and IE7 and Adobe 8 std. Wish I had thought to see if Avast was the cause. Anyway for the moment, if anyone wants to try ver 8 of adobe it may well solve it for you until the Avast crew come up with a fix.

krgoodwin

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 06:39:32 AM »
That is an interesting observation but my bottom line is that reverting back to avast 4.8 solves the problem which I've bee able to demonstrate on two different computers. So I am not sure what conclusion one can reach from your observations. I can not easily revert back to an earlier version of Adobe Acrobat Pro since the program installation is tightly controlled by Adobe and every time I've tried to deactivate the license, it has failed and then I've had to spend over an hour with the Canadians attempting to reload the program.  I think that is because my program has been an upgrade since version 3.  Another oddity that I 've mentioned before, is that restoring IE8 after it has frozen/hung/crashed resolves the problem.  But I've noticed that when there were two IE8 processes executing prior to the IE8/pdf hang, after restoring IE8 (a nominal Microsoft option in IE), there are four IE8 processes executing after the restore(maybe two processes have only ceased grabbing the processor??).  A number of weeks ago when I first reported the problem, numerous others reported the same problem but since then I've not seen any new posts on the problem.  I suspect most users are so use to IE8 freezing they don't pursue the problem.  Regardless, I am hoping that the next release of Version 5 fixes the problem since being able to view pdf documents on the Internet is a higher priority than just having the latest version of avast which is why for now I have gone back to Version 4.8 on one of my computers to circumvent the problem.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »
No problem here with IE8, Opera, or Firefox.  I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3.0 installed, and all open PDFs in the browser.  I'm not doubting that some others are having problems, but what is causing it hasn't been determined.  Perhaps some common security program or hardware driver may be having a conflict with Avast.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

AlReece45

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 05:06:14 PM »
I have not managed to reproduce the problem on Avast 5 Free. I can't check on all of the computers that have the problem, but it seems as though uninstalling the script blocker also resolves the problem. Can anyone else confirm this?