Author Topic: will avast! 4 start/run when windows is in safemode?  (Read 4048 times)

mrnapolean1

will avast! 4 start/run when windows is in safemode?
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:03:44 PM »
will avast! 4 start/run when windows is in safemode?

i cannot login to the regular windows (computer locks up when i try)

i have windows xp sp2 ???

Hermite15

Re: will avast! 4 start/run when windows is in safemode?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
manual scan should run...safe mode won't load necessary drivers for real time AV  ;) you didn't try ?

mrnapolean1

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:20:16 PM »
manual scan should run...safe mode won't load necessary drivers for real time AV  ;) you didn't try ?

ok i tried to run it (by executing it from its desktop icon) and nothing comes up.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:30:53 PM »

ok i tried to run it (by executing it from its desktop icon) and nothing comes up.

OK can't remember the behavior of V4 in safe mode, that was just a guess...
partially off topic: anyway I just gave it a try with V5 and it's a no go, see screen shot, I didn't check but I guess avast services can't start at all in safe mode and are still needed for manual scans.

mrnapolean1

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »

OK can't remember the behavior of V4 in safe mode, that was just a guess...
partially off topic: anyway I just gave it a try with V5 and it's a no go, see screen shot, I didn't check but I guess avast services can't start at all in safe mode and are still needed for manual scans.

tharts another problem, i cannot access the Microsoft management console to see if avast services are running.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
you're gonna have to go through some troubleshooting by by uninstalling applications one by one and reboot, to find out which one could be the culprit. Otherwise did you attempt a system restore to a time before things started to go wrong?

mrnapolean1

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:12:44 AM »
you're gonna have to go through some troubleshooting by by uninstalling applications one by one and reboot, to find out which one could be the culprit. Otherwise did you attempt a system restore to a time before things started to go wrong?

System restore was turned off.

mrnapolean1

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »

System restore was turned off.

well too late. the computer finally crashed, so i guess i will be reinstalling windows xp...