Author Topic: Version 5.0.396 - User Profile unloading issue  (Read 2842 times)

Sgt.Schumann

Version 5.0.396 - User Profile unloading issue
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:43:52 PM »
Hi together,

today i updated from version 4.8 to 5.0.396 on my XP SP3 machine.

First of all i have to say, that the update procedure ran very fast and smoothly with absolutely no problems.
The new version runs stable and looks very nice. Nice job!

But at every reboot after the installation the operation system failed to unload the user profile upon logoff/shutdown (which is monitored in the system application log as application event "Userenv - ID 1517"). As a consequence upon next login, an error message is directly displayed, that the user profile can not be loaded and the standard profile is used instead. Also two application events "Userenv - ID 1508" and "Userenv - ID 1505" are written in the application log.

I reproduced this by several reboots and shutdowns and new starts. Always the same effect/error. Since these errors never occured bevore the installation of version 5 (i checked the event log), i assume that probably a component of avast! causes the problem and not stops correctly running upon windows logoff.

In order to address this problem, i installed the "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" (UPHClean), which is recommended by Microsoft for "fixing" this problem on the end user side on XP machines (the service is already built in in Vista and later). After installation the effect did not occur once again.

Is anybody facing a similar effect/error or can someone from the avast!-team confirm this kind of problems?

I wish everyone a nice weekend!
 Sgt.

Hermite15

Re: Version 5.0.396 - User Profile unloading issue
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »
Is anybody facing a similar effect/error ...?

not anymore, but I've had this issue several times in a recent past. Never knew exactly what made it happen. It just doesn't happen anymore. By the way I've never seen this in XP or Vista, only in Seven. I posted about it on Technet and got irrelevant answers about my profile being corrupted  ;D yeah.. happened with a new profile too, happened after a fresh install of Windows too so... ::) Last time I speculated about the reasons of a temporary profile being loaded, I thought it was CIS doing that...still running CIS today and the problem is gone so I really don't know. As to Avast 5 being the cause...could be but I doubt it. I've even seen that happen with no security software installed at all.
 My guess in the end is that it's a Windows bug; and again I experienced that for the first time in Win7, and I'm not the only one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:05:21 PM by Logos »

news

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »
Hello Sgt. Schumann..

I believe this thread has two others that are facing the same problem. The information you've provided is the exact same as Tarq57 recommended. Thanks for sharing. Another useful tool that just may come in handy at some point and time for me if needed.

Wont shut down

Sgt.Schumann

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »
Hello Logos and news,

thanks for your answers and sharing your experiences and information.